Epilogue

Wais LeBlanc. Aged twenty-three. Devoted son, brother.

We buried him alongside his parents. We couldn't have Hui bring back our loved ones, but we could bury them. Put them back where they never should've left.

Miranda departed shortly after Wais's burial. She hadn't said a word to us; she simply vanished with no means to contact her.

We all wished her the best.

The next burial was for Parker's wife and child. Returning them to the ground brought him some form of comfort. "They can finally rest," he'd said, smiling.

We then buried Kaz's surrogate mother-his maid-and he wailed. "I should've been there for her. For Wais. If only I wasn't so weak, I could've healed him. I could've."

No amount of words could console him there was nothing he, we, or anyone could've done for him.

Zoe buried her little brother. She looked at his grave with a faint sisterly smile, stroking his gravestone. "At least he's back home. That's all I ever wanted." She sighed and turned to me. "Can I ask you something?"

Of course, I'd said. She could ask me anything.

"Do you think Miranda will be okay? Her brother is gone. Mine is. And you, you lost yours. Losing a sibling, a brother..." she'd trailed off.

With time she'll be fine, I'd replied. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it makes life a little less harder.

She heaved another sigh. "At least no one will have to suffer like this anymore." All of us had adopted that platitude. It was our sole means of comfort.

The last burial was Rebecca's. We returned her to her grave, where her family thought they'd buried their child, and stared at the ornate hunk of rock marking her body.

Parker and Kaz offered me their condolences, and I thanked them. They left me for a bit to sit with Rebecca.

I sat beside her gravestone. So much loss. Garret, Rebecca, Wais.

Zoe crouched next to me, grass crunching underfoot. "How are you doing?"

I snorted. "How do you think?"

For the first time since we started burying everyone, she offered a small laugh. "I'm guessing by that happy attitude, you're doing swell." She combed back her hair and tilted her head to the baby blue sky, engrossed with passing clouds. "It was worth a shot, even though I already know how you're doing. You're doing that same as the rest of us."

I stayed silent, staring at the sky with her.

It was tranquil.

Quiet blanketed the hill, and a gentle breeze ruffled the grass. The serene scene of a lush hill carpeted in grass and adorned by flowers eased my torment, if only slightly.

I was first to break the captivating spell of silence that had comforted me. "We should go."

She nodded and I helped her up.

We made our trek down the hill, and hesitantly, I put my hand on her elbow, stopping her. Apprehension caned me. I'd been detesting this moment for weeks, but it had to be done. "Zoe... I wanted to tell you something before I tell the others in a minute, so you're not blindsided." A quizzical frown flitted Zoe's lips. "I'm leaving."

Zoe fell silent. Defeat in her shoulders, she toyed with her sleeves. "I've been waiting for you to say that."

I'd been expecting a reaction, but definitely not that. "Zoe-"

"We should get back," she said, and awkward silence suppressed the atmosphere until we reached Parker and Kaz, leaning against the ornate black gates.

"Ready to go?" Parker asked, fidgeting with his car keys.

I shot a glance at Zoe, who gazed at the cracked sidewalk, and repeated what I'd told her. That I was leaving. "Parker, you told me I could be Henry Jacobs, or Pyro. I could choose to continue, or to stop. And I... I'm choosing to stop."

The two of them were taken aback. They shared a stunned glance, until Parker smiled warmly and patted my shoulders. "I'm proud of you." I nodded. We embraced for a moment before he turned to Kaz.

He was unnervingly silent.

I blinked.

Kaz frowned. "What, you waiting for a big send off?" He mumbled something to the effect of, "Rich pretty boys are always expecting something. What, were you hoping for tears and confetti? Want us to wave white napkins in the air?"

I relaxed, and I easily fell into a smile. I clapped his back and said, "No thanks. I wouldn't want your crocodile tears anyway."

He scowled and flounced to Parker's car, exasperated. Parker grinned and said goodbye, and with my heart heavy, I made my way to my car, keys jingling in hand.

I couldn't be Henry Jacobs anymore, and I hated Pyro. I couldn't do it. That was why I had to leave. It shredded me, but it had to be done. After all this, I needed to find out who I was. Most of all, I just needed to get away.

I popped my car door open, and hot air strangled me. I coughed, a layer of dust clinging to my tongue. I rolled down my windows, gulping the fresh air, and reclined in my chair. The leather seat shifted under my weight, and I fluttered my eyes shut.

Tears threatened to spill when I felt a hand tap me.

I jolted, and she chuckled. "Sorry."

Zoe.

I hastily sat up, attempting to commandeer a calm voice, and said, "Hey."

'Hey?' That was the best I could do?

Her grin softened. "Hey."

My heartbeat quickened. A moment passed. "So, uh, what are you-"

"Where are you going?" Heat flushed her face, and she mumbled, "I'm just wondering."

"I don't know yet," I admited. I frowned, and studied her. She leaned in through my window, slightly, and opposite to her character, she was reticent, hesitant to vociferate her thoughts. I ventured a wild guess. "If I'm wrong, feel free to slap me or something. But... do you, maybe, want to come with me?"

Her gray eyes sparkled.

I noticed, not for the first time, that her eyes were painfully beautiful and striking. But, for the first time, I saw her eyes-not Rebecca's.

"Depends on where you're going. If you're headed off to the Sahara Desert, that'll have to be a no go for me."

An unbridled grin invaded my face. "I can assure you, I'm staying far away from the Sahara. I was thinking heading out of the States where less people can recognize me. I want to have a fresh new start."

She sighed, golden hair falling in her face. "I can honestly say, that sounds perfect."

I gestured for her to get inside and she slipped into the passenger's seat. I started the car and the engine roared to life. "One condition, though," Zoe chimed.

I pulled out of the cemetery and the fresh air nipped our skin. Pure joy, something I hadn't felt in years, overcame me, and an idiotic smile pervaded my face. It refused to abate.

Having her with me...

The two of us could have someone who empathized. Someone who cherished. Someone who could provide comfort no one else could.

I loved her. Truly.

"What's your condition?" I asked.

Hair whipping in the wind, she stretched her hand over and fiddled with the radio. Music blared to life, and she said, "I choose the music. You have terrible taste."

I laughed. "Agree to disagree. I have amazing taste." She snorted, but I clasped her hand and she squeezed my fingers, a smile lighting up her cheeks. "You have a deal."