Chapter 17

Dedicated to @BitchBeGentle, Salectrix_Jz, and everyone else who waited so long for this (sorry).
Keegan's POV

After we ate dinner at Christian's house, Christian left early to get ready, and Mom and I headed home to pick up Josh, who was coming with us. Mom came over to me, handing me a bag. I frowned. "What's this for?"

"For your overnight stay." Mom smiled, heading to the car without another word.

I stared at the bag, my heart racing. Overnight stay? At... Christian's? The thought made my face heat up. Did she even ask if I could stay over? Did she expect for something to happen? Did I want something to happen? I blushed and shook my head, following Mom into the car. The ride to school was silent, and when we arrived, Mom turned, smiling. "Have fun. I want details!"

"Mom!" I got out of the car with Josh as Mom laughed.

"Okay, boys. Have fun."

As Mom drove off Josh nudged me with his arm. "I want details too."

I pushed him back and stormed off, his laughter echoing behind me.

Josh eventually caught up to me, and we made our way to the field. I was shocked to see the crowds in the stands up close. Josh let out a low whistle. "That's a lot of people."

I began to worry about finding a seat when I heard my name and turned to see Christian waving at me. Josh led the way over to where Christian stood, and I smiled. "I saved you guys some seats." Christian pointed to the empty row right at the bottom of the bleachers.

Josh grinned. "Neat."

Josh went to sit down, and I turned to Christian. "You look nice," I nodded at his uniform.

"So do you." He pulled me close, kissing my bare shoulder before pulling his jersey back up over it. "Thanks for coming, even if you know absolutely nothing about baskets." He smiled.

I blushed. "Was that wrong?"

"Very. Okay, I have to go. Coach is calling." Christian jogged over to join his team, and I sat down with Josh.

Josh leaned back in his seat. "Your boyfriend is cool."

I blushed, pushing his arm. "Stop."

"No, really. These seats are awesome. And he seems pretty nice."

I didn't reply, watching Christian huddle with his team. I didn't know what they were doing - pep talk? - and felt nervous. How could I cheer him on if I didn't know anything about any of this? I looked around, spotting all the other team members' girls. They were all chatting together about the game, and every one of them seemed to know what was going on. I groaned. I'm an awful boyfriend.

"Relax, Keegan. I'm pretty sure Christian didn't fall for you because you're a sports enthusiast." Josh turned to me, pausing for a moment. "At least I hope that wasn't the case. Just watch Christian. It doesn't matter if you cheer out loud. Cheer him on silently. Smile when he looks your way." Josh pointed towards Christian, who was looking up at me. I did what Josh said and smiled. Christian looked really happy when I did, and turned back to the coach. "See? You're doing fine."

I nodded. "I hope you are right."

"I'm always right." Josh assured me.

I rolled my eyes, smiling. Eventually, the game began. I watched them all gather on the middle of the field, the football was thrown, then I became lost. The teams ran across the field, tackling each other to the ground. I gasped each time. "Is football supposed to be this violent?" I asked Josh.

"Yep." He stared at the field, focused.

I looked back at the field, spotting Christian's 12 with the rest of his team. I couldn't see his face, so it was harder to find him when he was running. I sighed. It wasn't boring, exactly, I just couldn't focus because I didn't know what was going on. My eyes followed Christian, but my mind was elsewhere.

I twisted the fabric of Christian's jersey in my hands, looking between Christian and the other players. How could they run so fast? Weren't they tired? I looked over at Josh. "How long are these games supposed to last?"

"An hour and a half, maybe longer." Josh replied.

"They have to run for that long?!"

"No, they... have quarters, that are only... Just watch Christian." Josh furrowed his brow.

So I did. Christian hadn't glanced over at the stands after the game started, and I assumed he was too focused. I smiled. He must really love this game. Or he's trying to impress you. I rolled my eyes at my own thought. He'd been playing football long before we got together. It wasn't like anything had changed about his love of the game between now and before. He's just... Really dedicated to the game. I glanced down at my overnight bag and blushed.

A loud roar erupted from the crowd on our side, and I jumped, startled out of my thoughts. I looked at Josh, who was grinning and cheering with the rest of the crowd. I stood up, not sure what had happened. Our team was laughing and hugging out on the field, and I could only assume it meant we had won the game. How long had I been lost in my own thoughts? I scanned the team, spotting Christian with them, high-fiving everyone. His helmet was off, and his hair and face glistening with sweat. He glanced up, smiling widely. I gave a shy wave back, and Christian's mouth moved, mouthing words I couldn't make out. "Thank you." Josh said beside me.

"You're welcome?" I frowned.

"No, that's what he said - Christian. 'Thank you.'"

"Oh... How can you tell?"

Josh shrugged. "Just good at reading lips. Come on, let's head down there."

"Are we allowed to?" Josh pointed to all the girls wearing jerseys who were running down to meet their boyfriends. Slowly, I nodded, heading down to the field. The team had dispersed, each member talking and hugging their girlfriend. I noticed Christian off to the side, his back to me. Josh had stopped at the edge of the field, raising his brow with a grin. I came up behind Christian slowly, wrapping my arms around his stomach. He instantly relaxed against me. "How'd you like your first football game?"

He turned around in my embrace, grinning down at me. "You were great," I answered honestly.

"Wasn't what I asked, but thank you."

"Well... I was only watching you."

Christian had a goofy smile on his face, leaning down to hug me. "Thanks."

Before I could say anything, Christian cupped my face in his hands, placing a kiss on my lips. When he pulled away, I was frozen with shock. "What's wrong?"

I looked around, and saw many people had stopped what they were doing, staring at us. "I-... You... We're... In public."

"So?" Christian tilted his head. "I don't care."

I felt my heart flutter. "Really?"

"Yeah. Should I?"

Shaking my head, I put my arms around his neck, pulling him back down into another kiss. "No."

A cough made us pull apart, and we turned to see Nick standing in front of us. I gaped at his appearance. He was covered in bruises and cuts - like he'd been in a fight and lost. He looked awful. Nick looked around and sighed. "Can I... Can I talk to you guys?"

A/N: Really sorry for the lack of promised updates, guys. Been going through stuff in life. But I will try to get updates out more often. Thanks for reading! P.S. Really really sorry about the broken update promises...