Chapter 7

After the incident with Bryce's cell phone, it has been silent in my car once again. I think that we are almost to Texas now. I have been driving for what feels like forever. We have stopped a few times to get gas and use the bathroom. I glance at the time in my car.

2:04 p.m.

We left at 8:00 a.m. So, we have been on the road for over six hours now. I know that we will have to stop somewhere to get some rest, eventually. I'm going to delay that as long as possible. The less times we stop at a hotel, the more money that we will save. And I'm all about saving money. I figure that we will end up stopping in Texas to get some sleep. We are still in Mississippi at the moment.

Currently, I'm parked at McDonald's waiting for Bryce to come back out with our food. Initially, we stopped to just use the bathroom, but Bryce insisted that he would buy us some food. I didn't argue with that. I told him what I wanted and went back to wait in the car.

       I look up and I see him walking back to the car with our food. I unlock the doors to the car.

He raises his eyebrows at me as he sits back down in the passenger seat.

"Why did you lock the doors? Are you scared?" He smirks at me.

I glare at him. "You can't trust people."

"I can't argue with that." He agrees with me.

"Thank you. Now give me my food." I bat my eyelashes at him and I pout.

He shakes his head at me and hands me my food.

I take it, happily.

"Thank you for buying me food, Bryce." I tell him as I stuff  a whole chicken McNugget into my mouth.

"Thanks for agreeing to drive me to L.A." He takes a bite out of his burger.

"I needed some excitement in my life." I admit.

He looks over at me and grins. "At least you admit it."

"I have no idea what I'm doing with my life and a trip far away from home sounded like a great idea." I pop another McNugget into my mouth.

"I guess." He says, while eating one of his fries.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, while taking a bite of one of my fries.

"It's supposed to mean that running away from your problems doesn't make them go away." Our eyes lock for a moment and then we both look away.

"Well, I think it's time that we get back on the road again. I want to get to Texas before it gets dark." I crank my car up and begin to drive out of the random McDonald's parking lot in a city that I've never heard of in Mississippi.

I turn the radio on and turn the volume up. I don't feel like having a serious conversation about my life right now. Especially with Bryce, of all people.