Chapter 11

"Welcome to New Mexico The Land of Enchantment

        "Welcome to New Mexico The Land of Enchantment." What kind of enchantment, New Mexico? What kind? I would really like to know. The only enchantment that I'm experiencing right now is my butt hurting from sitting in this car for so long. It's already 7 at night. We have gone through yet another whole entire day of ME driving. We have only stopped for gas, food, and bathroom breaks. As of right now, we are getting closer and closer to Arizona. I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to make it driving. I'm, honestly, scared to stop at a motel again after what happened at the Motel 6...., but I can't run on zero sleep. This is our second day on the road.

I look over at my road trip partner. He is asleep. Of course, he is asleep. I feel like every time that I have looked at him today he has either been sleeping, eating, or on his phone scrolling with his headphones on. We haven't had a conversation since we left the Motel 6 this morning. We have barely spoken at all. Just enough to communicate if we were hungry or had to use the bathroom.

      Suddenly, a thought hits me. I haven't texted or called Xander to let him know where we are. I pull over at the next exit, and park in a random Burger King parking lot. I exit out of the GPS so that I can get to my text message. I click on Xander's name. Bryce is still snoozing.

To: Xander

My dearest brother, Bryce and I are currently in New Mexico. I'm hoping that it won't take too much longer for us to get to Arizona. I'm going to try to beat the time that the GPS says. 😜 I'm sure that you and Bryce have already been texting given the amount of time that he spends on his phone....I love you.

I press send. Immediately, it says read at 7:34. Then I see the three little bubbles pop up to inform me that he is typing a response back to me.

From: Xander

My dearest sister, I am glad that YOU finally decided to text me and let me know that you are, in fact, not dead. But, you are right, I have been corresponding with my brother from another mother the whole entire time. 😜 I love you too, sis.

I smile and shake my head. My brother is such a mess, but I love him.

To: Xander

I knew it!!! You SO owe me for this, Xander.

From: Xander

Sis, it's VERY important. Trust me.

To: Xander

How can I trust you when you won't even tell me why I'm doing this?

From: Xander

It's not my business to tell. Besides, you know me, and you know that I wouldn't make you do this for something stupid.

I sigh. He does have a point. He may be a little ridiculous, but he seems to be very serious about this.

To: Xander

Okay. I trust you. This is all just so crazy.

From: Xander

You don't even know the half of it, sis.

To: Xander

What's that supposed to mean?

From: Xander

Maybe you will find out.

To: Xander

Whatever. I'll talk to you later. I love you.

From: Xander

Be careful. ❤️

"You don't even know the half of it, sis." I whisper to myself.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?!?!