PROLOGUE

The warm light of the morning sun slowly lifting up the horizon basking the city in the glow, and the world stood still for a moment, in a way that would not last long. Perseus stood on the battlements and watched the sunrise; the view from the high walls of the majestic city that had been his home for the twenty years of his short life. He stared out at the large plains that circles the citadel admiring the rugged landscape. In that moment all felt right in the world, one could almost forget the war that had weighed on their shoulders for the past nine years.

Nine long years they had all been fighting, army against army, against the mighty Achaeans who had sailed across the seas for a single woman. His brother had stolen the Greek king Menelaus' wife during a diplomatic mission during an already tense situation. When Menelaus found that Helena had been gifted to Paris by the gods, he was outraged and sailed across the seas to take revenge on all of Troy for the dishonour shown to him. Now, Perseus did not hate his brother for his role in the war at hand but no one was able to predict how truly bloody it would be, many lives would have been saved if only the conflict was able to be avoided.

"What haunts your mind dear Perseus?" a voice startled from his thoughts. He turned slowly and looked up into the face of one of the most handsome of immortal beings.

"Nothing which you should be concerned about," he replied softly smiling up at the man. Apollo always made him feel better, more grounded than any other; he helped him forget the arduous days of war and enabled his thoughts to drift to the time he was able to spend with his lover. "What brings you to my humble city of Troy this glorious morning, my lord?" he chuckled slightly "Not up and driving your chariot?"

Apollo merely smiled and tightened his hold on Perseus' waist, drawing him in closer and feeling the very mortal life radiate off him like a sun of its own.

"Do I need any other reason than to see you, love?" as Perseus turned back out to admire the view Apollo placed his chin on his shoulder, leaning down to do so consequently enveloping Perseus further.

The other just rolled his eyes at the god.

"Oh, what else you ask?" he mimed being in thought, tilting his head slightly and letting out a humming, "Maybe the war? You know the war? Many people dying which had consumed more than nine years of my life..." The reply was sarcastic but held an edge of bitterness to it. Everyday he felt the keen pain that the immortals could only meddle and not end this endless fighting, no matter how much any of them prayed. Apollo replied with a chuckle,

"Oh yes the war, what a bothersome detail" his voice airy and distant.

And to Apollo that was that it was, merely a bothersome detail in the grand scheme of the world. He was a god, an immortal divine being, who had already experiences thousands of years and would continue to exist for millennia to come. This war was a measly nine year, and to a god I truly was a second in their infinite lives. However, as Apollo stared down at the man who stood before him, he knew that these nine years would be the beginning of the longest years he would ever feel. The world and the war were of no consequence, but Perseus, Perseus was the one precious thing that he endeavoured to hold on to, to sink in his grasp and to never let go.

Apollo had first laid eyes on his love when the man was just a boy, fifteen and training for the war. The battle had already taken place in the four years before this, but Perseus had been too young to fight, but at fifteen he had reached his majority and was to begin fighting on the front liens with his other brothers. The moment he saw him, slashing and jabbing at the straw dummies, he knew that this man would be special, not only to him but to the entire world.

The five years that followed were the happiest that Apollo thought he had ever experienced. The shone bright in comparison to the rest of his years, the blinding smile of Perseus lighting up his days and instilled in him an energy and emphasis that he did not know he possessed. He felt truly happy to be alive, and wanted nothing more that to hold on to Perseus as long as he was able.

For Perseus however, it felt as if the war would never end; almost half of his life had been spent in the grip of war, him being the youngest soldier to step foot on the battle field. To Perseus every second of his life was precious as he did not know when he would draw his last breath, especially in such a dangerous climate such as this. Being one of the many princes of Troy he was unable to sit idly by and watch his men fight and die for an almost ludicrous cause. If they were to fight then he would damn well fight with them. For him, Apollo was the shining rays of sunshine that shone upon the dull moments of his life. In the five years that he had known the god, it had been him that had helped him through the many dark times where one of his men or a brother would die in his arms. He was also the focus of almost all the good memories that Perseus had, in the midst of the struggle and strife there were happy flashes all of which contained Apollo. Perseus would savour every last moment with the god, up until he was no longer able.

The perched atop the walls and watched together as the sun rose higher and hit the white walls of Troy, both imagining of a future that could be, in the sliver of hope that lurked far in the distance.