The Building of an Empire- Prologue 1

The Kim family were famous around the world. Their rich heritage and generous donations to charity were constantly talked about. Kim Corporation was a massive company, but no one seemed to know what they did. Yet no one ever asked how the Kim's became so rich, they just were. No one asked questions because everyone loved them, they gave to charity constantly, how could they be bad?

The Kims were never the topic of gossip or rumours. That was until the day Mr Kim , the CEO of Kim Corporation, declared his retirement. Instantly gossip started. The reason for this was Mr Kim's son: Kim Namjoon. Namjoon was also very well known. He was dark, mysterious and handsome. Many women had tried to wiggle their way into his heart and gain his affection but none had ever succeeded. Mr Kim was the opposite. He was open to the public, he was constantly being interviewed and being on the front page of newspapers thanks to his charity work. No one knew how Namjoon was going to run the business or if he even would at all. Namjoon never seemed to pay much interest to his father's work. He always seemed to be too caught up in his own world to pay attention to the world his father was passing over to him.

Namjoon's POV
I made my way down the corridor towards my father's office. My shoes making light tapping sounds against the long, scarlet rug. I stopped at the tall mahogany doors and knocked twice, gently. A strong and deep voice sounded from behind the closed doors.
"Come in." It spoke sharply.
I pulled down the gold handle and pushed open the door gently to see my father sitting behind his large wooden desk quietly sifting through paperwork. I closed the door quickly and made my way over to stand before the desk. I did so almost silently as to not disturb my father's work. I had previously noted the scowl on his wrinkled face and the slight clench of his jaw. I realised that he must be stressed with the work he was focusing on. I didn't want to agitate him further. You don't want to see my father angry.

A few moments passed before my father closed the lid on his pen and looked up from his work. His steel like stare was nothing like the warm and friendly smile he would usually show to the public. But I am not the public. I am his only son and the heir to his throne. There is no time for such things like friendliness. His eyes slowly made their way to lock with mine and suddenly the yellow lights in the room became a little too bright, the dark wooden walls started to feel too close together. His gaze was suffocating but I held it without a single flinch. I couldn't risk being seen as weak towards such a powerful man. A man who would decide my fate.

"Namjoon," He said slowly dragging out the "joon".
"You know I love you very much and want what's best for you. That is why I do what I do, I show you the darkest parts of the business. I do it so you can be prepared for you're future." My father cleared his throat and opens a draw to his desk pulling out a long, black gun. The lights in the room make the gun gleam almost with menace. I don't flinch at the sight though. From a young age I was surrounded by men with guns sometimes bigger than me. I guess being the son of one of the world's most dangerous mafia leaders has it's perks. Things rarely shock or scare me.
"Do you know what this is Namjoon?" He asked.
"A gun," I replied monotonously.
He laughed but it was not a gentle, loving laugh it was sharp and almost calculated.
"Yes this is a gun, but not just any gun. This gun has been passed down from generation to generation. All through the Kim family. It is a symbol of our work and our ability to do what we have to do to stay on top. This gun has been in the hands of some of the worlds most dangerous mafia leaders. Do you understand how important this is, son?" He paused and analysed my facial expression. I kept a stoic gaze and spoke clearly:
"Yes Father. I understand fully." He nodded and passed me the gun. I gently took it from his rough hands and slid it smoothly into my holster, swiftly covering it with my blazer.
"I won't disappoint you Father."
After a nod of recognition from him, I turned on my heal and made my way back down the corridor. All the while thoughts swimming through my head. I passed many of my father's guards on my way. They all gave me respectful nods as I passed. This was nothing new. I turned the corner and came face to face with my mother. Her shocked expression quickly changed to a gentle smile, a loving gaze held in her eyes. She held my cheek in her hand as she spoke.
"Was your Father too hard on you?" I shook my head. My mother smiled.
"One day all of this, she motioned to our surroundings, will be yours and you can finally follow in your Father's footsteps." She stepped around me and carried on her walk probably to the office I had just left. I took a deep breath and started to walk again this time in the direction of the exit. I don't want to follow in my Father's footsteps. I want to build my own empire. I smirked to myself and stepped into my car. I was ready to start building my own legacy and I knew exactly were to start.

Prologue 2 coming Thursday 28th 9:00pm