10

Lucy sat at the bottom of the closet her hair matted to her head with blood from the deep gash in her forehead. Her body littered with bruises and at least five ribs where broken. Her wist was knitting back together but hadn't been correctly set; it would need to be rebroken. In the darkness, Lucy tried to remind herself why she needed Duston as a mate. Annalise said that she would die from the tincture Morta Vii if she rejected Duston, but Lucy was ready to die. It felt like years since she had been tossed in the closet like an old coat. She could hear them on the other side of the door. The thumping techno-babble mixed with grunts and moans of couples in the main room gave her a headache. Suddenly light flooded her dark sanctuary, and the devil himself smiled down at her.

"What am I going to do with you," Duston sneered grabbing a handful of her light brown hair, pulling her out of the closet. Several of Dustons cohorts and popular girls were scattered around the room in various states of undress looked on in anticipation. "What do you guys think I should do to her now?"

"Pull out her fingernails! Remove an eye! Break her legs!" were heard from different parts of the room.

"What about Silvia?" Britney asked.

"You are on a roll, Babe," Duston said as others agreed. Retrieving the silver knife he had named Silvia from his back pocket, he nealed behind her and carefully cut away her shirt. Once Lucy's shirt hung from her shoulder leaving her back exposed Duston began carving a message into her creamy white flesh. Lucy cried out in pain as the knife dug into her back. "Her blood flows freely!" Duston exclaimed in shock.

"The silver isn't cauterizing wounds?" somebody asked. "So, she doesn't have a silver allergy? Does that mean that she's a..."

"A human!" Duston growled digging the knife in more, causing Lucy to scream.

"I R-REJ-JECT-T YOU D-DUST-TON A-ALEXA-ANDER S-S-SAXSUM AS MY MATE!" Lucy screamed between sobs. "AND I H-HOPE YOU ROT IN HELL!!" Lucy felt the mate bond slip away and for the first time in a long time, she felt free. But breathing was painful and her body began to burn with fever. Her sight focused on the floorboards between her hands as she experienced tunnel vision for the first time. A fight broke out somewhere in the room, but as far as Lucy was concerned, it might as well have been hundreds of miles away. She knew that loving hands pressed cloth of some kind to her back, and voices filled with love and worry called to her but nothing could keep her heart beating as it slowed down and her life left her eyes.