Only Believe and Anything can happen

Only Believe and Anything Can Happen

If you would only believe, McKenna, it’s not that hard.

Only believe; easier than it sounds.

I'm McKenna Washington. I have a sharp personality, blue eyes and auburn hair. What do I have to believe in? I should believe in a lot of things, but I don't. I have good reason too.

Just listen.

When I was six years old my parents died. My dad was in a car wreck and my mom died of cancer about a month later; so I don't believe in love. It's because I have never really experienced it. My dad cared about money and my mom was always sick for as long as I can remember. My guardians take care of me. They are loyal, not loving. I guess I'm a little harsh. If you were in my shoes you would be too. I'm fifteen now. I'm still as distant and unapproachable as I was when I was first orphaned. Don't feel bad for me.

I don't.

"Are you ready for school, Kenny?" My guardian, Mrs. Annel asked.

I hate being called Kenny.

"Yeah." I answered.

I call my guardians Aunt Sandy and Uncle Abe instead of Mr. and Mrs. I picked up my backpack and ran outside to meet the bus. It pulled up and I got in. I sat in a seat by myself. Oh, you might wonder why I don’t sit with a friend. Nope, not me. I don’t have friends. I'm too grumpy for most folks. Well. I don't care. I don't believe in friendship. It's just something you get attached to then the friend gets mad and you split up. I have enough troubles. I don't need to worry about friends. The bus pulled into the school parking lot and I braced myself for another day.

"Hey! Frown face!"

I knew that voice.

"What do you want, Ida?" I asked as I turned to face the annoying, blond girl that had rushed up behind me.

"The girls and I have decided--"

The girls? Oh yeah, that was Ida's annoying little click that she ruled over. I walked into school and rolled my eyes.

"--that you, Kenny Washington."

She knows I hated being called Kenny.

“--have won the grump of the month award!" She laughed then said in a prim little voice. "Congrats! I'm sure this honor will do you justice." She skipped off. I scowled, but not because I cared what Ida said about me. I scowled because she's a jerk.