Hi Chuichui

***
(Jema said)

"Hi! Bakit ka nandito? Akala ko may team dinner pa kayo?" I asked Deanna. She was at my door late at night with a sad look on her  face.

"I left early. Di ba sabi ko sa'yo pupunta lang ako ulit pag may emergency ako," she answered.

"Is everything okay?" I panicked. I thought she got injured. "Are you hurt?"

She nodded. "Yes." She pointed at her chest. "It hurts here because I miss you."

"Drama naman nito! Pumasok na nga tayo." I let her in my apartment. We sat in the couch and continued talking.

"Pero mas masakit talaga na natalo kami ng Lady Spikers!"

"Mas masakit kaya 'yong sa amin. Wala kami sa Final Four."

"Contest ba 'to kung sinong mas malungkot?" She frowned again.

"I hate seeing you sad. Halika nga dito." I pulled her into an embrace. "Yayakapin muna kita hanggang mawala yang lungkot mo."

"Sure ka? Matagal-tagal 'to."

"As long as it takes."

***
(Deanna said)

I didn't realize that we fell asleep on her couch until the next morning. Her arms were still wrapped around me. I stayed for a few more minutes there--savoring the moment.

I slowly untangled myself, trying hard not to wake her up. I let myself in her kitchen and prepared food.

"Good morning, beautiful!" I said when she finally got up. "Breakfast is ready!"

"Wow naman. Good morning din!" She smiled at me. "Pwede ka na mag-asawa. Hahaha."

"Hinihintay lang naman kita," I whispered.

"May sinabi ka ba? Sorry hindi ko narinig. Nagcheck ako ng messages." She raised a peace sign and smiled.

"Sabi ko kain na tayo." I pulled a chair for her.

"Thanks for this! Sorry pala kagabi ha. Hindi na kita ginising kasi mahimbing na tulog mo. Para kang baby."

"Tama ba narinig ko? Tinawag mo akong baby? Ayayay," I was teasing her. "Sige baby na rin itatawag ko sa'yo para fair."

"Ewan ko sa'yo! Kain ka na nga. Baka gutom lang yan."

"Sungit naman ni baby."

She rolled her eyes and took a big bite. She was avoiding eye contact. She loosened up just before we finished breakfast.

"May ibibigay ako sa'yo na magpapasaya sa'yo lagi," Jema said.

"Ibibigay mo na ba ang matamis mong oo?" I answered.

"Wala ka namang tinanong, anong sasagutin ko? Hahaha."

I was tempted to ask her right there and then but I didn't want to ruin her surprise.

"Alis na nga tayo!"

We drove a few blocks from Jema'a place. She was singing to the tunes of my playlist and I turned down the volume of the radio to hear her better. It was common knowledge in the volleyball community that Jema sings well and hearing her live made me admire her more. Her mini concert was interrupted when we reached our destination.

"Please wait here. Kunin ko lang."

After a few minutes, she returned with a super cute labrador puppy.

"Deanna, this is Chuichui." She handed him to me. "Chuichui, meet Deanna."

"Hi Chuichui!" I said. He rolled onto his back--ready for a belly rub.

"Alam kong mahirap at malungkot na malayo sa pamilya kasi wala yung constant source of strength and support. Aside from your friends, at least now you have Chuichui... and you also have me."

"I'm really touched... Thank you!"

"Since bawal siya sa dorm mo, ako na muna magbabantay sa kanya ha. I want you to have him eventually as soon as your living arrangment would allow you to."

"Thanks again, baby!" I kissed Jema on the cheek, suprising myself and her. My cheeks flushed but I acted as if nothing happened. She did too.

"You're very welcome... baby..."

"Hey pal, you have to guard Jema, okay? Don't let her manliligaws come near her." Chuichui barked in agreement. "You're such a good boy!"

"Grabe naman kayo!" Jema complained jokingly.