Fix You

***
(Deanna said)

"My teammates are inviting us to a party this Saturday. Joint grad celebration ng seniors," I told Jema. We were hanging out at her place, binge watching movies.

"Sure ka na pwede magdala ng date? Baka kayo-kayo lang yan," she answered.

"Yup, pwede. Besides they specifically asked me to bring you."

"May iba ka pa bang gustong dalhing date?"

"Teka... hanap lang ako." I showed her I was scrolling down my contact list.

"Hmmmp." She crinkled her nose. "Ikaw na maraming options."

"Cute mo kapag naiinis. Well actually cute ka kahit ano pang expression. Nasan ang hustisya, Jema?"

She did it again but was conscious to snap out of it immediately.

"Bahala ka nga dyan." She tried walking away but I pulled her back to my arms.

"Baby, ikaw lang gusto kong date, okay?"

"Ganyan ang sagot! Ha-ha!"

"Look pretty tomorrow ah!"

"Syempre naman. Ha-ha."

"By the way, baby, uuwi ako sa Cebu sa Sunday. I'll be there for two weeks. Baka lang kasi mamiss mo ko."

"Let me think about it." She stuck out her tongue to tease.

***
(Jema said)

I wanted to be presentable in front of Deanna's friends but dressing up has always stressed me out. Other than my shirts and jackets, my wardrobe only kept a few dresses. I chose a classic little black dress, put on some make up and wore heels.

Deanna's teammates were very welcoming and hilarious.

"O Deans, bago na naman date mo?" Maddie said. "Bawat alis na lang natin iba kasama mo."

"Totoo ba?" I asked but I knew Deanna was not the type.

"Ate Mads?!" Deanna's eyes widened. "Behave!"

"Ha-ha. Uy Jema, joke lang ha. Ikaw pa lang pinapakilala niyan," Maddie clarified. "Parang ngayon na nga lang ulit kasi siya tinamaan nang ganyan."

"Thank you for making my son smile every day," a drunk Bea interjected.

"Dad, are you gonna tell me who my mom is na?" Deanna asked.

"Geez, son. Why do you keep on looking for her? Am I not enough?" Bea acted as if she was hurt that made us laugh.

Ponggay pulled us to the dance floor to join the rest of the team.

Deanna showed off her groove and so did the others. It was my first time seeing this side of her--clumsy and carefree--and I was really enjoying the sight. She held my hand, which made me more comfortable, and we danced all night long.

Deanna embraced me from the back, breathed on my neck, and then kissed my cheek. "Thanks for coming with me and meeting these guys. Sana next time mapakilala naman kita sa family ko."

"There's no need to rush, baby," I answered. "Let's do it one at a time."

We said our goodbyes early since Deanna had a flight to catch. We walked hand-in-hand along an alley towards the parking lot.

"Deans, upo muna tayo. Masakit na paa ko," I requested. We sat on the nearest bench available.

"Bakit ka ba nag-heels? Other than masakit yan sa paa, mas matangkad ka tuloy sa'kin kanina." She tried lightening up the mood. She bent over and unclipped my stilettos. I tried hiding the blisters that I got from my battle with my shoes but she inspected my feet thoroughly. "Tsk... tsk..."

"Sabi mo kasi I have to look pretty."

"Ang ibig sabihin ko nun be yourself, eh sobrang ganda mo na kaya. Hindi kailangang umeffort."

She removed her flats and offered it to me. "O ito, palit muna tayo."

"Hala wag na. Give me five minutes okay na ko ulit maglakad."

She put on her shoes again and stood up. "Halika bubuhatin na lang kita."

She gestured me onto her back.

"Kaya mo ba ko buhatin? Baka mainjure ka pa."

"Nah. Parang gym workout ko lang 'to. Ay shocks... nakadress ka pala."

Instead of a piggyback, Denna surprised me by placing her arm around my waist and another behind my knees. She lifted me up instantly that I resigned to wrapping my arms around her shoulder.

"Okay ka lang, baby?" I asked.

She adjusted my weight on her arms. "Yes po..."

She walked carefully.

"So... Deans.. may aaminin ako sa'yo," I said.

"Ano yun?" She wondered.

"Nainsecure ako kaya sabi ko sarili ko I need to look my best para di ka mapahiya sa teammates mo."

"Talaga?"

"Yup... Sorry ha... Nahihirapan ka tuloy buhatin ako ngayon."

"Stop trying to fix yourself because there's nothing else to fix. As long as I'm with you and you're with me, that's enough, okay?"

"Okay, boss!"

Deanna brought me to the passenger seat. She put on my seatbelt and hurriedly sat on the driver's seat.

"Ako na magdadrive. Pahinga ka muna," she said.

"Alam mo, sa bawat araw na lumilipas, mas naiinlove ako sa'yo," I blurted. I was rwally touched by her efforts

She looked at me and gave me a warm smile.

That was the last thing I remembered before dozing off in the car. That was also my last memory of us being worry-free and happy.