Chapter 6 - The Future's Hand, Both Kind & Cruel

Well I'm finally on time for once, how bout that! ^-^ I can't wait to get into the meat of the story! Hope you're enjoying it so far! I know I keep saying it but I really appreciate the votes and comments. I come back to them months later and find myself cracking up (especially on my last book).

Song: lontalius - it's not love

Nathan's POV

As I was heading towards the cafeteria I spotted Noah running past. Confusion swept my mind as the expression he wore was that of mortification. I turned and watched as he ran out of sight. It was almost as if didn't even see me. I've never seen him with that expression. I hope everything's alright with him.

When I stepped into the cafeteria eyes were on the entrance. They soon returned to what they were doing as if expecting someone else to enter.

I grabbed two slices of free bread and one of cheese before finding a table to eat at. The school special looked really good, but I had to save my money for more important things. I still needed a haircut and new clothes. Walking by foot all summer also made me realize how much I needed a car. Even if it's one that's not very pretty.

After I finished my sandwich I headed straight to my next class, even though it hadn't started. I used that time to plan out the rest of the day. I was thinking about swinging by the clubs later to see if any of them piqued my interest. And I did just that.

After all of my classes were finished I lifted my backpack from the floor beside me, tossed it over my shoulder, then made for the clubs. The first door appeared to be the news/literature club. Just looking at it lit a pit inside my stomach.

"Did you hear what Noah did after Rebbecca published the new issue today?" I overheard a feminine voice say off near the news room. I stopped to listen, worried that Rebbecca might have laid eyes on a new target.

Noah.

"Yeah, well apparently he ran out of school, skipping all of his classes." The girl continued.

"Wow, I almost feel bad for the poor guy." A deeper voice replied.

"If what Becca wrote is actually true then he totally had it coming." The feminine voice said.

After stopping in my tracks to listen in on the conversation I hastily made my way over to the wrack of newspaper next to the news room. I quickly flipped through the pages of the latest issue and there it was. I read the article. A flurry of emotions washed over me. I was furious at Rebbecca, surprised to find out that Noah is gay, or bi maybe? And jealous that he has a crush on the captain of the football team. I was feeling really bad for Noah. I would've gone to look for him but that probably wouldn't have helped, seeing as he's afraid of me and all.

I hope he's okay.

I continued looking at the list of after school activities. Not many particularly grabbed my interest, there was one I was looking forward to checking out though.

"Is this the music room?" I asked, stepping into a room with a trumpet sign above it.

"No, this is the f***ing brewery." A guy behind a desk responded. He seemed preoccupied, as his gaze was fixated on the piece of paper under him.

"We... have a brewery?" I asked stupidly, awkwardly scanning the bright room.

"No you f***ing twat. Th-" He began answering with a sharp tongue before looking up to meet my eyes. He had lengthy brown hair, though not quite as long as mine. His appearance was a little nerdy but he was more on the well-built side and dressed odd.