Chapter 9 - Jealousy, You And Me

Sorry about the wait. I was going to update on Tuesday but figured I'd just wait until today. I've been getting increasingly busy and have had less free time. It's a bittersweet situation. I'm able to work towards a big goal of mine, but my passion for writing has to take a back seat. That said I'll still be trying to update weekly as I have been!

Noah's POV

Today is Friday. The final school day in the week I have to suffer through.

"I'm heading out." I Informed my family, stepping out the front door made of glass. I'm an only child so a lot of attention and expectation gets put on me. My parents are almost overbearing at times. My Nan who is staying with us for the summer is much more easy going though. I love her a lot. She's funny, kind, and all around a good person.

I walked down the hill that was our yard. A stone pathway guided down the grassy lawn. There were very few trees near our house, but where our yard ended was lined with many green trees, almost creating a forest.

I walked along the road over-headed in the tall trees, nearing the closest bus stop. My heart ached just seeing the sign. I waited, my nerves growing. I knew exactly what was waiting for me. Chad made it his mission to torment me. He hits me like I'm his personal piñata. Everyone just stares., including his friends. They refuse to take swings at me, but they wouldn't step in to help me whenever someone did. It hurt, the ladder and hive mentality that runs our school is so toxic. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't acknowledge that I contributed to it. I've been trying my best to be inclusive though. I knew what it felt like being in everyone else's shadows, to not be noticed. That's how it was for me before I met Taylor.

It seemed that I was back at square one again.

I froze up in shock when I reached my locker. "Meet me right here after school, prick." was a message written in marker. My legs turned into jello, I could barely stand I was so terrified. Someone really had it out for me this time didn't they?

I caught Chad occasionally scowling my way during class. I figured he was probably the one who wrote on my locker, though it didn't seem much his style.

Rebbecca was also burning a hole trough me with a death glare. I didn't know what for though. If anything I was the one who should've been staring daggers. She ruined my school life for her own publicity.

After the final bell rang I raced to my locker. I hastily tried to shove my books inside and collect my things for home before Chad had a chance to mess up my face. I had no intention to get beat into a pulp if I could help it.

"Hey." A voice startled me as I was head deep in the locker, prompting me to jump and hit my head against the top.

I turned to the person beside me, hesitant. It was Taylor.

"I half expected you to chicken out." She watched my nervous frame with a judging look. Little did she know that's exactly what I was doing. It wasn't until a moment later that I noticed the towering man stood behind her. It's the scary guy that I've been trying to avoid. I put two and two together. She intended for him to knock me into oblivion, didn't she...

I took a step back, my mind racing with thoughts.

"Earth to Noah." Taylor waved her hand in front of my face. "Are we going to talk or are you going to continue being a mute jerk?"

"Talk?" I responded confused.

"Yes, talk, that thing you've been refusing to do." She said smartly, leaning towards me.