14 - Adjustments

The new school week started and Hannah took the subway to school. She had her earbuds in her ears to listen to music as she went to school.

So much has happened in just one weekend and she's trying to adjust to what happened. All she wanted was for everything to go back to the way it was before Germany. She felt a heavy weight is on her shoulders that she can't get rid of.

"Hey, Hannah," Anthony greeted her.

"Hey," she greeted her friend without looking at him.

"What's wrong?" Anthony asked.

"I'll explain later, but I need my suit back," Hannah said. 

"What?"

"I need the suit back," she repeated.

"Why?"

"I'll explain later. Where do you have it?"

"It's at my house."

"Alright, I need to pick it up," Hannah said.

"Okay. You gotta tell me everything on our way to my place."

Hannah nodded. 

During lunch that day, Hannah watched Peter form the distance, wishing that she wasn't just friends with him. She wished that there was more to their relationship than just being friends.

"You like him," Anthony said. "Don't deny it."

"That's why I'm not going to," Hannah said. 

"You're not?"

Hannah shook her head.

"Are you going to tell him?" Anthony asked. "How you feel?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because," Hannah said, "I don't have time for a relationship. With school, Spark, work, and everything, I can't."

"Hannah, why not tell him?"

"Anthony, have you ever had a crush on your best friend?"

"Yeah, I have," Anthony said. "I still do."

"You do?"

Anthony nodded. "And what sucks is that she likes someone else."

"I'm sorry," Hannah said. 

"Yeah, well, it's not your fault," Anthony said. "I just wish she looked at me the same way she looks at him."

Hannah looked at Anthony sympathetically.

"Don't look at me like that," Anthony said. "I see where you're coming from."

***

After school, Anthony and Hannah went to Anthony's house so Hannah can pick up the suit. She explained everything on the way.

"Wow," Anthony said after Hannah explained everything.

"Yeah," Hannah said.

"Shit," Anthony said, "what are we going to do now?"

"I'm going to lay low for a while," Hannah said. "Once everything blows over, I'll start coming out as the Spark."

"Sounds like a plan," Anthony said. "While you're laying low, we still should meet up at the lair and plan for the future."

"Yeah," Hannah agreed. 

They arrived at Anthony's house.

"Hey, Anthony," his mother greeted him.

"Hi, Mom," Anthony said.

"Who's your friend?" she noticed Hannah behind Anthony.

"This is Hannah," he said. "She's with me at school."

"How did you meet?"

"Um, we have a lot of mutal friends," Anthony said. "She's just picking something up."

After a quick conversation with Anthony's mother, Hannah picked up her suit and left. It didn't take long for Hannah to get home. As soon as she got home, she took the suit up to her room and hid it in her closet. She started her homework until Happy Hogan came to pick up the suit.