Six

I woke up with the old book still in my hand. I got through about two thirds of it last night before fatigue got to me. I still wore the same clothing I was wearing yesterday. The Call of the Wild was about a canine whose owner dies and he seeks freedom in a faraway land. Whether he found freedom in the wild was yet to be revealed tonight, when I was planning on reading by flashlight again. I was really enjoying the book. It was much better than the ridiculous fairy tale eBooks the Government offered us. I should really steal Grandmother's books more often.  

I rubbed my eyes and stretched my arms and legs, making them dangle past the end of my small bed. Today was a Monday, which meant a long day. Thankfully, it was summer and I didn't have to head to school every morning. It wasn't an enjoyable experience. That also meant that I had four hours' worth of gymnastics practice. I groaned at the thought. As much as I enjoyed the sport, Mondays were my lazy days, meant for napping and snacking. I walked over to mine and Elle's conjoined bathroom. I picked up my hairbrush and attempted to comb through my tangle of hair. After a while, I simply gave up and put it up into a messy bun. I left the room and decided to loiter around the house for a while. I proceeded to our tiled kitchen and opened our stainless steel fridge. I treated myself to a refreshing cup of sugary orange juice. I sat down on our black leather couch and browsed through an eNewspaper, which wrote about some new scientific breakthroughs.  

My attention shifted to a bird chirping outside. I looked out the window. Judging by the sound, I would have guessed the bird was right outside my window. There was no bird in sight. I walked over to the window and took a look around. I heard it again. Then, I realized the racket maker was perched upon a tree about fifty feet away, its yellow feathers shining under the sun's rays. How could I hear it so clearly? I admired the bird for a moment, and then jumped onto the couch. I thought about the bird I hurt yesterday and swallowed hard, picking up the newspaper.

I was once again distracted by another noise. I gave a frustrated sigh. This time, the source of noise seemed to be none other than my mother. Her voice was raised, as if she were arguing with someone. I heard her as clear as day, even though I was pretty sure no one was up when I headed downstairs. Being my usual curious self, I set down my newspaper and decided to investigate.  

My mother's high-pitched voice was booming from her bedroom. I heard it all the way at the staircase.  

"Louis! I'm not sending her to you! What? I don't care. Relax, you're overreacting." she spoke. Louis was my father. What was she talking to him about?

"I never should have let you change her all those years ago." she hissed. By this time, I was camping outside her heavy bedroom door, poised to run in case she decided to open it.  

"It’s not my problem! Handle it!" with these last frustrated words, she hung up on my father. I raced to my room so she wouldn't see me eavesdropping on her. I still couldn't make sense of all her words, but it was obvious she and Father were hiding something from the rest of my family. I ran into my room and quietly shut the door behind myself. I took a glance at the clock: 10:52. I had gymnastics at twelve o'clock. I belonged to a prestige team and I was one of the best in my group. Most girls my age lack athletic build and are only signed up for sports because their mothers made them. Yet another reason I was weird. The reasons were certainly piling up.  

Mother's harsh words echoed throughout my head. I just couldn't wrap my brain around what she had said. I've never heard her speak like that before. I then heard noise coming from the bathroom. I walked over to Elle applying her makeup half asleep. It's not like she needed it.  

"You're up early," she yawned as she powdered her tan face. And she was right, I usually woke up around noon during the summer. I simply nodded.

"What's up with you lately?" she asked, her voice suddenly unusually stern.