Noble Thieves

"Finn? Who is it?" I glanced back at my mother.

"Oh, it's just Jake. Can we go out for a little while? We'll be back before the Lights are out." She put her hands on her hips and sighed.

"Fine. Be back here pronto, and don't get into any trouble."

"Thank you!" I stepped outside and shut the door. Jake always managed to convince, no, more like guilt me into these things. I regret it, I really do.

"Atta boy. Here, I got your stuff." Jake threw a brown bag at me. I opened it up pulled out a white mask made from an old pillowcase. I looked at it for second and laughed.

"What?" Jake said.

"You ever think about how dumb we might look when we do this?" I said.

"Who cares? It's the results that matter, not the execution." He put his own mask on and pulled out a map.

"Caravans are almost done for today. The last one should be headed to Western Omega, about here." He pointed to the area on the map. I'd never been to been that far west of Omega. I lived in the center of the section. But supposedly, the Western end is considered the only prominent part of Omega, simply because it's the exit of the first Tunnel to Alpha. Lots of trade comes and goes in that area, making a very rare percentage of Omega citizens somewhat middle class.
Jake pointed to another part on the map.

"If we take this shortcut I found, we could cut the Caravan off before it even reaches the Tunnel entrance." I nodded my head. Jake folded the map up and stuck it in his back pocket.

"You ready?" I put my mask on and nodded.

"Well then, lets do this hell hole some good."

Jake took the lead and I was right behind him. We sprinted through the run down and dilapidated streets and avoided Officers at all costs. Officers are what the Surface might call the "police." According to what we've studied about the Surface, police officers can be brutal. But that's an understatement for Mole Officers. There is no trial or jury, you're either arrested or executed for high offenses, like the ones my friend and I are committing.

Officers have been on alert recently after the frequent robberies of Caravans across Omega. And no doubt there are probably Officers escorting this Caravan, but I'm guessing Jake has a plan in that insane head of his. But insanity and sanity are one in the same here.

Jake and I knelt behind two large trash cans and studied the situation. In the middle of the street was the Ration Caravan. There were 10 people, five Officers and five members of the Caravan. A giant wagon full of bags of vegetables and grains and water was being pulled along by three of the men while two others delivered rations.

"Look at this neighborhood. It's obvious these people have more than enough." Jake muttered. He was right. Most buildings were 2 story with glass windows, clean streets, and even more Lights.

"So what's the plan? There's way too many Officers to handle on our own."

Jake pulled his map out and placed it on the ground between us. He traced his finger around our perimeter and began muttering to himself.

"What is it?" I asked again. He quickly glanced at his watch and swiveled his head upwards at me.

"It should be happening right about... now."

"AAAAAHHHH!" All of a sudden the cries of people could be heard all around us. I peeked over the trash can to find out what exactly was happening. My eyes went wide in astonishment.

"Are those-"

"C'mon! We gotta take advantage of the commotion!" Jake yelled. He jumped over the trash cans and sprinted onto the street. I remained there frozen in shock at the sight. A crowd of children, ages 8 to 12, all surrounded the Caravan. There was at least 50 of them, all armed with rocks and sticks and other blunt objects. Somehow I forced my legs to move and I jumped over the trash cans to catch up with Jake. The closer I got, the more gruesome the scene. Some kids where bleeding, bruised, or even unconscious. The Officers were relentless in their retaliations, striking the children with their batons at near full strength. Eventually I reached Jake, who was looting on top of the Caravan while the children fought.

"Jake? What the hell?" I shouted up at him.

"Amazing right? Those orphans will do anything we ask with the reputation we've built!" He threw a bag of rice at me and I caught it in my hands.

"Orphans?! You're letting these kids fight?" Jake glared down at me.

"Did you have a better idea, Portman?"

"Not this!" I shouted at him. I turned around when an Officer swung his baton at my face.