The Past

Stripe picked up a photograph that was in the book and handed it to me.

"That right there is your father and I." I stared at the photograph. Stripe and my father standing side by side in front of a large building. Immediately my eyes devoured my fathers image. I hadn't see him in 7 years. He was much younger in the photo. Determined blue eyes and a passionate face. His hair a mess of gold. Then I noticed their attire. Expensive, all white suits and shoes that couldn't be found anywhere in Omega.

"Your father and I were born in Pruitt, raised there too." Stripe added.

"But, why're you here?" I said, not taking my eyes off the photo.

"The answer to that question is your mother." I glanced at him curiously.

"How?"

"Your father traveled to Omega on a business venture. While he was here he met your mother. Long story short, he loved her so much that he abandoned his own life and wealth just to be with her." Stripe said. But still I was confused.

"Why didn't he just take her back to Pruitt? We wouldn't even be living like this. And why are you here?"

"Woah slow down, son. I'll tell ya' everything ya' wanna know." He got out of his seat and went into the kitchen.

"The answer to your first question is quite amazing. Your father hated the system so much that he forfeited what he had for his family. He hated the idea of a social caste system and believed everyone should be equal. But being born into the lavish life he had previously, there wasn't much he could do. He was a huge philanthropist, your father. He almost singlehandedly improved 75% of Omega to what it is today." Stripe began pouring himself a glass of water. I tried to wrap my head around all of this. Why didn't they tell me?

"And?" I asked. Stripe came back to the table and sat down.

"Then your mother got pregnant. So he dropped everything and moved here to be with her, and you." He took a big sip of water and continued.

"I'm here because he came here as well. We're like brothers. Call me Uncle Stripe if ya' like."
"Yeah I'll pass."

"Anyhow, I'm also here because your father told me to look after you."

"Look after me?" I put two and two together finally, and swallowed.

"So he's dead?"