A Forbidden Visit

The following days went by normally. I went to school, came home, did homework, and slept. I hadn't seen Jake since the incident, but I also hadn't seen as many orphans either. The streets and alleys were deserted.

One day as I was walking home from school, I decided to take a quick stop at old man Stripes house. There was no use in asking Mom. She'd immediately be suspicious at the first mention of it. So as soon as school ended, I began walking back towards West Omega. After about 20 minutes of walking or so, I was on the old man's doorstep. Before I could even knock, the door swung open.

"So you came. Please, come in." Stripe said. I stepped into the living room and sat at the kitchen table.

"You were expecting me?" I asked.

"Mhm. Ever since you left."

"Why?"

"Curiosity always kills the cat." He pulled a chair and slowly lowered himself into it.

"So, how'd Alexa react?" I winced at his words.

"You know my moms name?" He laughed at that.

"I suppose she told you nothing, eh?"

"She told me to never come here again, actually." Stripe grinned a little.

"Just like your father." I raised my eyebrows and leaned forward in my chair.

"How do you know so much? Who are you?"

"Hm. I wouldn't know where to begin." Stripe said.

"Well, how do you know my father?" I questioned.

"We were good friends, best friends." The hairs on my entire body stood up.

"And?" I pressed. Stripe raised his eyebrow.

"And what?"

"Well where is he now?" I demanded. Stripe stared at me for a while before saying anything.

"I've come to believe that you and your father are one in the same. Your sense of justice is strong."

"Answer my question!" I shouted. He put his hands up in defense.

"I'll start from the beginning," he got out of his chair and shuffled over to an old bookshelf by the window.

"10 years ago, when I was much younger and a lot more handsome, I met your father. We became friends instantly. He had good character and a caring heart. He always wanted to know the truth." He pulled a notebook off the shelf and sat back down.

"He would always talk of leaving this life and starting a new one, on the Surface." He opened the book and revealed my Dad's deepest secret.