A play

Sardaar Zaraar's POV

Shahi sat inside the inner chamber with the other witnesses. I took a breath and cleared my head of the murderous thoughts as she walked in. This was highly inappropriate, a woman in the majlis of men but it had to be done. She was beyond elated and the thought made my stomach turn.

Her voice when she spoke was breathy and she had overdressed herself. Highly inappropriate.
'Did you need something Sardaar?'

'Yes I have called you to .. --' murder you, shaking my head I completed the sentence ' -- to talk things over with you. Why don't you sit?' Preferably no where near me.

She sat down but her hands shook,

'What do you think of my wife?' I let the question linger.

Her expression twisted beneath the pretence as if I had referred to someone debased and filthy.
'I don't trust her you see, I want to end what is between us but I have no evidence to annul the marriage. I thought you were acquainted with her, you surely must have seen something'

It wasn't a lie, it wasn't Afsana I spoke of but any of the other two witches but she did not know that.

Her eyes widened with disbelief 'Well I try not to think bad of people but Afsana Bibi is not the most likeable person, she does not treat me very well'

The blatant lie made me furious and I fought to keep calm. 'How has she mistreated you?'

She made a dissatisfied noise 'You are too good for her Sardaar, she may seem innocent but she is a cruel and selfish person. She is using you for her own gain'

The beast inside my chest called fury threatened to unleash itself at her. I didn't know a person more selfless than Afsana

'What gain?'

'She knows you have power and wealth, she never did possess any in her life so when she saw an opportunity she took it'

'I appreciate the information you have supplied me with, I did not know her treachery was so deeply rooted, it will not do to annul the marriage I must get rid of her. You wouldn't know of a way would you?'

'I tried to poison her but she survived. You wanted to save your child then so you saved her but this time there is nothing to prevent you'

How I wanted to twist her petty neck
'There is nothing to prevent me from posioning now'

I placed the teacup in front of her. It was lavish, embossed with flowers and crafted out of the finest china
'Won't you have some tea?'

She took it in wonder and took a tentative sip 'This tastes strange ..'

'It is one of a kind, only the most privelaged get to taste it'

Hearing those words she drained the entire cup. Her expression slowly transformed to one of alarm as she clutched her neck 'help me' she rasped

'I'd rather watch you suffer'

At this point she was twisting in agony and screaming, her sanity gone 'Kill me! Just end me'

I sat back as the witnesses entered the chamber 'I'm sorry I don't owe you any kindness'

Her heightened screams cooled my heart and I breathed in peace, revenge was achieved.

*******

'Why did you do this to me. I thought --?'

'It was all a play. Why did you do it Afsana? I cannot explain the pain I felt watching her suffer'

'I only wanted your favor'

'I was kind to you, I found you an abandoned child and raised you, how could I harbour such feelings for you?'

'So what if you raised me? You aren't my father, you married a Persian who you don't even know and gave her affection she didn't deserve. It should have been me you married and not that wit --'

'Hold your tongue before I rid you of it! Don't you dare refer to my wife with such a despicable name'

She still shivered even though the cure had been given.

'I am giving you to Zaazi, I am sure you will find your time in his household very enjoyable. Maybe you can convince him to marry you'

Her scream of terror drowned out all sound, but it was not loud enough to drown out my laughter.