Haider

Afsana's POV

Haider was finally asleep, he lay curled in a ball under the blanket and let out soft snores. Despite the terror he was, I couldn't help my heart melting every time I saw him, Sikkandar had been a beautiful child, Haider was cute and terrible. His back was covered with soft fuzzy hair,he looked like an apricot. His body proportions were amusing, his head gigantic compared to his short arms and legs, his belly was round and his features were contorted into a frown even in sleep. I kissed his head lightly and he snored in response. The more I looked at him, the more I wanted to laugh. He reminded me of those angry fat old men in the fairy tales with their large bellies and bald heads, all he needed was a walking stick.

Sikkandar hesitantly peered into the cradle and stroked his head. 'I like Haider Mama but he cries all day and all night. He does not like me'

'Of course he likes you' even I said it I knew it was untrue, Haider did not like anyone except Ziraar, maybe because they were both so alike. I wondered if Haider would inherit his grandfather's personality as well as inheriting his hair. I thought about the type of man he must have been to reject his own child because their appearance did not please him and I came to the conclusion that he was just like my father. Ziraar and I were alike in that aspect, cast aside by our fathers because we were not what they wanted us to be. He had grown to be strong and powerful and I had stayed weak.

Sikkandar dropped the rattle and Haider stirred. I held my breath and let it out as he went back to sleep. A moment later there was chaos. I did not know how to calm down the screaming baby. His cries heightened and brought Ziraar in, he lifted the furious child out of my arms and rocked him. My heart twisted inside my chest as he quietened down, how unfair that he preferred his father over me when I had suffered for him.

Sikkandar had a sad look on his face 'Baba does not like me anymore, he only likes Haider'

Ziraar frowned 'I love the both of you, Haider just needs more attention'

The terror had calmed down and he peered at everything with curious eyes. Ziraar seemed lost in thought
'My father seemed so kind and harmless when he was silent and thinking but when he focused his attention and opened his mouth, you could not believe he was the same person' he looked at Haider' Just like Haider. Sometimes I am afraid he will turn out just like father and terrorize those under him and I fear the things I will have to do when that time comes'