Chapter 8: Christmas Show

I had rushed into the last band practice until Christmas Show night. We all talked about how we could nail our first gig.

I noticed that Titan was texting DQ, so I picked up the phone and went on Instagram to see what he said: Are you going to be in the Christmas show?

No, but I'm going to see it. Melissa is going to give me a ride. I texted back.

Ah.

I can't wait until I get to see her fail. :3

Hehe me too.

I gotta go, Melissa's here. Bye. I hurried to get dressed and rushed out the door.

The car ride there was long, but it seemed short with my active imagination. I can't remember what I was imagining, sometimes I wish I did. Sometimes I don't. Most of the stuff I imagine are as horrifying as every Creepypasta combined.

A sharp thought stabbed my mind instantly: If I fail this, he'll never dump DQ for me instead.

I'm fucked, aren't I?

My upbeat-hyperactive brother looked at me when we got off the car. "Mewissa, aw you gonna pway dwumbs?"

I chuckled. "I'm going to sing and play bass."

"Can you sing now?"

"Sorry-"

"Pweeeeeze!"

I ignored his pleas as I dashed to the room the cafeteria of the school I was performing at. I sat against the wall in my chorus clothes. I sighed in stress reminding myself of the sharp dagger implanted into my brain, re-inserting itself repeatedly.

"Hey, Meli!" Jade said, plopping down next to me. Jade was my favorite bandmate.

"Hey." I smiled. Her prescence comforted me. She was a year younger, though, I had the same maturity as her.

We saw Lily pacing nervously. She was older than both of us. In her hands were the lyrics as she tried to memorize them. They were holiday-themed, of course. I already had them memorized, and I hope Lily and Monica and Taylor too. Lily and Jade were in the chorus with me, along with Taylor. I never exactly talked to Taylor though. We are an all-girl chorus since the boy who signed up in the first place didn't show up to practice EVER. We also had to do these songs at a Barnes & Noble. Afterwards and beforewards, I was chatting with one of the guys who was with me in Art Club last year. Sadly, I couldn't enter Art Club this year since the schedules for it and Band interfered.

We sat there talking, as the boys in band played cards and a few were playing MineCraft on their phones, tablets, etc. I didn't even know where Taylor was. We were the last act, so we were there for a while. It felt like forever.

"Look Meli!" Jade pointed at a jar of small, hard-pretzels on a table assigned to another act. "Holy food!"

I wasn't religious, but I smiled like a psychopath and whispered "Holy food!!!!"

We made sure the teachers weren't watching, so we raided the jar. We twisted off the top and ate ravenously.

"Wait!" Jade said as I was shoving a mouthful of pretzles to be grinded by my jaws. "We must savor it and make sure it doesn't run out too quickly!"

I nodded slowly, being muted by the pretzels. I chewed what I could, gulping down small portions. Until now, the phrase "Biting more than they could chew" didn't make much sense to me. It hurt my jawline-area, but it didn't matter as long as they were pretzels!