>>Chapter 7<<

When the doors to the great hall opened, I was awestruck at the sight inside. A calm night sky sparkling with stars was depicted upon the ceiling. Flickering floating candles lit our way.

As we entered, four tables worth of students looked towards us. Some appeared genuinely curious while others seemed they couldn't be less interested.

All of the nerves I had been repressing suddenly came to the surface in a tidal wave. What if they saw right through me? What if they knew?

My breathing intensified, and by the time we were in front of the sorting hat, I had a borderline panic attack.

A hand came to rest on my shoulder and I jumped, looking up.

"Maybe we will end up in the same house? Then we wouldn't be alone" Remus reassured me in a shaky tone.

"Yea I hope so. But if not, we will stay friends, right?"

In the short time I'd known him, I had became very attached to Remus.

Growing up, I wasn't allowed to interact much with the children near wherever I lived so that I didn't let my condition slip. My parents had drilled it into my brain to never let anyone find out, and it had became my top priority.

But when I hung out with Remus, I almost forgot I was different. I just felt so free.

"Of course Farren! Whichever house you end up in shouldn't affect our friendship. From what my dad tells me, house rivalry shouldn't be a problem unless you end up in Slytherin and I in Gryffindor. That rivalry goes way back. The rest of the houses seem to get along, well maybe Slytherin and Ravenclaw have their spats but again, I wouldn't worry."

This made me feel better, at least enough to allow me to focus on the sorting song.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The song left a smile on my face. All of the houses sounded wonderful. I loved how the hat described each house in a positive way.

One of the first students to be called up was none other then the girl I had met on the train.

Aquarius Black strode up to the sorting hat in a confident manner. Within seconds of it being placed on her head of curls, the magical hat called out "SLYTHERIN".

She happily rejoined the Platinum blonde who was with her on the train. I think her name was Juniper.

Next, Aquarius' twin was called up.

Sirius looked so nervous. He slowly walked up to the hat, looking longingly at the Slytherin table before finding James in the crowd. He then attempted to recreate the smile I had seen on the train. But I could see right through it.

I expected his sorting to be as fast as his sisters, but minutes began to pass and the hat hadn't declared anything.

Based on his facial expressions, Sirius seemed to be arguing with the hat. Parts of me wanted to know what he was saying, but the other respected his privacy.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone to hear my conversation with the hat. It seemed like a very personal thing.

At last, the great hat made it's decision.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Sirius looked heartbroken. No one in the crowd cheered, in fact everyone was noisily whispering among themselves.

A member of the noble house of Black had been sorted into Gryffindor.

Aquarius wouldn't even look at him, though I was sure she could feel his sorrowful gaze. Was she ashamed?

Someone even had the nerve to laugh, an older student with uncontrolled curly hair.

When Sirius had yet to move from the stool he was sorted on, Professor McGonagall stepped in, guiding him towards the Gryffindor table.

I couldn't believe no one was cheering for him!

In outrage, I began loudly clapping. James immediately joined in and the rest of the students slowly followed.

No student from the Slytherin table clapped.

***********************************

The sorting went on smoothly from that point. Soon it would be my time for me to join my house.

When students with surnames starting with K were called, my nerves returned. What if no house accepted me?

"Farren Lawell."

Tightening my ponytail, I shakily walked towards the stool and the hat was placed on my hair.

Ah, another Lawell. I remember your mother's sorting like it was yesterday. You share many qualities of hers, very bright and inquisitive.

But you are also very kind, always looking out for those you care about.

Oh and you are quite brave to deal with your monthly transformations.

This caused me to stiffen.

"How do you know that?"

Child, I take it upon myself to look deep into your mind so that you are placed in the best house for you.

Hmm...

I know where to put you!

"Ravenclaw!"

***********************************
Sorry I'm cutting this chapter a little short, I ran out of ideas. The little girl above is who I'm using as a faceclaim for Farren.

Also if I have an spelling or grammar errors, please kindly point them out and I will fix them. I'm

Hope everyone is having a great day and remember...

:)

:}

:]

:p

:D

XD

Smile!!!!!!