>>Chapter 8<<

A bright grin crossed my face. I had been sorted into Ravenclaw! Turns out my dad, although he didn't know much about the houses, had predicted which house I'd end up in.

High on happiness, I skipped over to the Ravenclaw table and sat in an empty seat. I trusted that the hat had sorted me into the house that would help me grow into who I was meant to be.

But was that place where Remus belonged as well?

Although I wanted to be with my friend, more than anything I wanted him to be happy in a place he truly belonged.

Within minutes after my sorting, Remus Lupin finished out the last names starting with "L".

He nervously made his way up to the stool and soon his face was covered by the hat.

I wondered how long his sorting would take, as some were over quickly while others, like my own took way longer.

Soon, I had my answer.

"Gryffindor!" Erupted the sorting hat.

Once it was removed, Remus sent me a sad smile before he made his way to sit near Sirius and James. At least they'd be together. Nevertheless I clapped for him.

Once all the first years had been sorted, I directed my attention towards my meal.

Before me was the widest array of food I had ever seen. Anything you had ever dreamed of eating was on silver plates and magical goblets full of any drink you wished. Filling my plate and goblet full, I sat back and relaxed, allowing my mind to wander. I had made it.

When dinner was coming to an end, and the last of the chocolate frogs had been eaten, the food was cleared away and Professor Dumbledore stood up to speak.

"Ahern -- just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.

"First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. The centaurs are quite territorial, as well as the other creatures that lurk within the forests shadows. A few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.

"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch."

"And finally, I must tell you that this year, the Whomping Willow is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death."

On that cheery note, the Prefects began rounding up students to take them towards their common room.

I watched as the majority of the students rushed towards the exit, chatting loudly and groaning about how full they were from the magnificent feast.

"Not much of a fan of big crowds I see?" Joked a voice from behind me, causing me to jump.

I turned to see Remus, with a smirk on his face as he looked down at me.

"Why must you sneak up on me?" I chided, jumping off my seat to ruffle the taller boys hair.

"Hey!" He protested, swatting my hand.

Giggling, I leapt away, running towards the exit with Remus hot on my heals.

With a start, I realized we were some of the last people in the great hall. I turned to Remus, gave him a quick hug and ran off to follow my housemates.