Chapter 20- Gotta Stand Up (Part 1)

While we walked through the forest, Skylar started to move around a lot. After a half an hour of moving contently, Skylar finally blurted out,

     "I HAVE TO GO!"

     We all turn to Skylar with a confused look, she quickly runs behind a big tree. I turned to Blake with the same look. The kids then turn to each other and begin to laugh quietly. We all figured that she just had to use the restroom. It took Skylar a long time like something was keeping her. I begin to walk towards the tree that she went to. Before I could walk behind the tree, Skylar appears in front of me. She looked different, her eyes almost looked like a different color.

    "Are you all right Skylar?" I asked.

    "Uh... yeah, why wouldn't I."

     I look at Skylar concerned, and then I decide to just keep moving. "No reason. Let's keep moving."

     This was weird after she left to go pee it's like she was a completely different person. I wasn't the only one who noticed it, Blake was sending weird looks at Skylar. Blake brought me to the side and talked to me.

     "What's wrong with Skylar? She's normally really talkative on long trips like these, and she acts like she doesn't know where she going. I'm getting kind of worried here." Blake whispered to me.

     "I don't know what it is. You don't think something happened to her when she went into the woods, do you?" I tried to whisper back but ended up saying it out loud.

     "Is everything alright over here?" Skylar joins the conversation.

     "Uh, It's nothing. Just talking about... how hot it is." I quickly made up.

     This is so weird. I've never kept anything from Skylar before, but I'm not so sure that she is Skylar. I wish that Zoe didn't hurry back to the house, she could have help figuring out what happened to her.

     I was so confused on what was happening with Skylar, but when I looked at Blake again, he looked like he had something on his mind. It was like he knew something about what was happening. I couldn't read him though, he has such a bold expression that made it so hard to read anything else.

     "We should keep moving, or Zoe and her new friend will get worried," I announce in a hurry to get back and figure this all out.

      We walk for five very quiet and awkward miles until we finally made it back to the house. We all walked inside and sat down, and after we got to talking, Zoe noticed what was the problem. Zoe, Blake, and I all gather in the kitchen, and Max watches the kids make sure Skylar doesn't do anything to them. In the kitchen, we discuss how to fix this. Zoe said that she wants to be the one to talk to Skylar, but then Blake steps in and demands he be the one. We are all shocked by Blake's demand, but we go along with it. All three of us then return to the living room.

      "Dad, can I go outside and practice my fighting?" Drake asks.

      I thought that this would result in a minor problem in our plan, but Blake didn't think so.

      "Sure thing son. Skylar, would you like to join us outside." Blake says in a deep voice.

      Skylar agreed, and all three of them walked outside. I waited a few minutes before going outside myself to make sure nothing happens. I sneak past Drake and into the woods where Blake took Skylar. I crouch behind a big bush as a disguise, and I'm close enough to hear every word they say.

     "Reed? I know that you are hypnotizing Skylar, and I also know that you can hear everything I'm saying." Blake says staring straight into Skylar's eyes.