7.

DESPAIR hung densely in the air as I cried. The coppery scent of blood pervaded my nose and my skin was purple from the multiple ways he had used me.

Why had I dared disobey?

I felt like sobbing but my body was beyond it. Due to the exhaustion I felt, I could barely muster a tear. I wish he had killed me already.

Sleep tugged at my eyelids but I refused it. Who knows what his mood could be the next time he arrived? And anyways, I preferred to be conscious when I received him.

Sighing, I tossed and turned, hoping to find a position that didn't cause my body to ache. Sadly, my efforts were fruitless.

Deciding on fetal position, I thought to the man's proposition of the possible suitors. If they were anything like Nathaniel, I might just bed the man to marry me himself. At least I was familiar with his mindset.

Still, what if one of them was sweet and caring? Perhaps I one would help me conspire against the man and free me? I laughed at myself, sleep deprivation had made me delirious. Of course, the man wouldn't let anyone like that in.

Yet, I had found my hope and I planned to hold onto it dearly.

""

My stomach roared in anguish and I helplessly shushed it. Although I had no means of keeping time down in this hell hole, I knew by my stomach that it had been a few days.

The room stank of blood and other dried bodily fluids. My thighs and stomach were coated in the mystery substances, which flaked off whenever I moved. As for my injuries, they had become badly bruised and raw to the touch. I had no bandages but the blanket, which had fallen to the floor in the struggle of my punishment.

For the millionth time I quietly called out for him, "Master! Master!"

My voice was alarmingly hoarse from dehydration and the fear of withering away in the basement had become all too real. Then, my heart nearly stopped. Footsteps.

I tossed my head towards the door in excitement and anticipation. I begged the Lord he would feed me.

The light from the dim bulb caused me to throw my hands over my eyes and hiss. Then, I felt hands stroke my head and I knew without a doubt it was him.

"I've found you another suitor, Elysia. He's so very excited to meet you," I could hear him grinning and it made me nearly writhe in disgust.

Slowly I uncovered my eyes, "I'd be delighted to meet him as well." The man smiled down at me before placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Very well then, I'll arrange a meeting," He turned to exit and I began to panic.

"Don't go!" I nearly cried. Surprised at my outburst, he turned slowly to look at my wild expression.

"I'm really hungry," I spoke softly, nearly whispering the words which echoed loudly off the walls. The man looked at me blankly and I thought he would hit me before he turned and paused.

"We will eat tonight," he stated monotonously before striding our of the room. My heart beat wildly at my minor success and I flopped backwards onto the filthy mattress.

I was genuinely surprised at his response, but of course he could only be feeding me so that I didn't look starved for my "date".

Surprisingly, I found myself nervous. Of course, this could be due to my encounter with Nathaniel, but I decided to stay hopeful of a different outcome. Maybe he'd be sweet, and charming, and a little cunning, too.

I sighed at my foolish wishes. Of course, the man would never allow such a man as that near me. Still, I entertained the thought of my Prince Charming rescuing me.