Chapter 8

"She had a wonderfully mischievous sense of humour with a laugh that bent you double. Today is our chance to say thank you for the way that you brightened our lives, even though God granted you but a one fourth life. Above all we give thanks for the life of a young woman I am so proud to be able to call my sister, the unique, the complex and irreplaceable Rosetta whose beauty, both internal and external, shall never be extinguished from our minds." Stefan ended his eulogy and gracefully walked down the staircase leading down from the stage. It looked as though he was trying very hard to control the tears from rolling down his cheeks.

Jessica was sitting behind Noah Shaw and Mrs. Shaw was sitting beside him. Jessica could sense the grief of Mrs. Shaw. When Marcus had finished his eulogy, Mrs. Shaw started sobbing and wiped up her tears with her gloved hands.

When everyone had proceeded to have lunch, Jessica went to place flowers on the dead girl's coffin.

"Jessica", a soft tap came on her shoulder.

"Stefan!" she exclaimed.

"I am truly sorry for my behaviour yesterday. I was just-"

"I understand. This is a tough time for you and your family. Take care." Jessica finished.

Stefan nodded and left. Noah came as he left. He had his arm around a very puffy faced Mrs. Shaw.

"Miss Bianchi, you haven't met my wife. this is Natalia." He said introducing his wife.

Jessica smiled and extended her hand to meet Natalia's which Natalia grabbed with both hands.

"Please, please, you have to find the killer of my daughter." Natalia broke down into tears.

Jessica put her arms around a very worried Natalia and hugged her tightly.

"Do not worry, Mrs. Shaw. I promise to find the killer. He or she shall not go unpunished."

"Signore Shaw, a word?" Jessica asked, pulling away.

"Of course, Natalia will you-" Noah said.

"Yes, I am going back inside. I have to look after the guests." Natalia headed back inside.

"Where is Florence? I haven't seen her today." Jessica asked Noah.

"She said she was feeling ill and left an hour ago."

"Is everyone else present here? I mean Rosetta's friends."

"I suppose yes, just saw them all heading to the dining hall." Noah replied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cars arrived in a queue as the guests left one by one. Rosetta was asked to accompany the Shaws to their mansion along with Rudolfo and James.

And so, a long, black limo arrived ad Jessica stepped in followed by her assistants. On arriving at the Shaw's, a very curious Jessica asked to see Florence.

"She should be in her room. Feel free to go and check on her." Marcus told her.

Jessica walked up the winding staircase and knocked on Florence's door to which she got no answer. She waited for sometime and turned the door knob, not expecting the door to open but it did. Jessica walked in to find an empty room with sheets tossed on the messy bed. Thinking that Florence to be in the en suite, Jessica sat down on the edge of the bed, waiting for Florence to come out. She gazed at the window and saw a girl bent near the bushes of the garden.

"Florence" she gasped and made her way downstairs and into the garden.

Jessica threw open the kitchen door leading to the garden and saw Florence sitting beside a bloody body of a man in a black suit.

"Florence!" Jessica ran to her breathlessly as Florence turned around with a bloody knife in her right hand.

"Stop right there." Florence shouted.

"What have you done?" Jessica asked, panicked on hearing her tone.

"I- I really do not know. I just saw something poking out of the bushes and saw this boy over here."

"Oh yea, and you don't know?" Jessica asked, backing away from an armed Florence.

"Listen"

"Listen? What? You have a "

"What? Knife in my hand makes you believe that I killed this poor little boy over here?"

"Hell yes" Jessica turned around and ran to the living room where all the Shaws were sitting.

"Signore, I- your daughter, Florence might be a killer." Jessica came panting.

"Florence, what?" Noah Shaw exclaimed.

"Yes, come, follow me please." Jessica insisted.

Noah, Natalia, Marcus and Stefan followed Jessica into the garden.

When Jessica threw open the door to the garden, all in sight was a bloody knife beside the boy's body.

Florence had fled.

"Oh my goodness, it's Chris." Stefan gasped.

Jessica turned towards Stefan.

"Christopher, Rosetta's boyfriend." Stefan told her.

"No, my question is, how did you recognise that face? It is disfigured." Jessica asked.

"I recognise the suit that he wore at the funeral today. One of a kind." Stefan said.

"Okay, call the cops, we need to track down Florence. She must not have gone that far. Stefan and Marcus, look that way." Jessica said pointing towards the right lane from the garden.

"Oh my God, oh, Florence..." Natalia started trembling. Her face had mixed expressions of fear and shock.

"Mrs. Shaw, it is not confirmed. But there is a high chance that your daughter killed this boy." Jessica said, "Signore, please take your wife inside while Rudolfo, James and I search the left lane."

With this, Jessica took off with Rudolfo and James following closely.