Sorting

Third person POV

The ride from Hogsmeade station to Hogwarts seemed so short to Amelia that when she had finally reached the shore, she asked Hagrid if she could travel on the boat again. Hagrid gave her a whole heartened laugh and told her perhaps some other day. To Amelia just one boat ride was not enough to take in the mesmerising view of Hogwarts castle.

As they walked through the corridors of Hogwarts in order to reach the great hall, Amelia's heart beats had quickened out of nervousness. Remus, who was standing beside her could see her fidgeting with her fingers, palms clammy due to sweat.

"Amelia are you alright? You seem nervous."

"Really...Yeah perhaps I am and a bit scared. What if the sorting hat says I am not a witch?"

"Amelia you are definitely a witch. You wouldn't be here if you weren't. Hogwarts acceptance letter is a proof itself."

"Hmmphh I guess you are right. But what if we are sorted in different houses. Will you still be my friend Remus? You are the first friend I have ever managed to make." Remus couldn't help but smile widely at Amelia's question. It wasn't just Amelia but also Remus who had found his very first friendship in her. After Amelia's opinion on werewolves, it had given him hope that maybe there will be others like her who wouldn't mind his lycanthropy. Of course he will keep his lycanthropy a secret, he was just happy to know that there will be people who might accept him without the look of disdain etched on there faces. And just now his happiness doubled when Amelia claimed him as his friend.

"Amelia you are my first friend as well. No matter what house you are sorted into, you will continue to be my friend for eternity." Amelia couldn't understand why she was his first friend but let it slip thinking that maybe she was his first witch friend and smiled equally widely. Just as they were told to wait in what was a chamber, a woman perhaps in her mid fifties with a stern expression on her face stood before them. She wore emerald green robes with a black pointed hat, her hair tied up in what could have only been a bun and though her face showed no emotions, her green eyes were twinkling behind her half moon spectacles scanning the crowd of first year standing in front of her.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common-room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding wizards and witches. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return for you when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." As soon as the professor left, a wave of whisper erupted amongst everyone, discussing which house they will be sorted into or how they wanted to get over with sorting because they were hungry.

"How do you think we will be sorted?" A girl with jet black hair and hazel eyes asked Amelia. "My father refused to tell me. He wanted it to be a surprise."

"Fabian mentioned some sort of test i guess. Said it hurts a lot, but I guess he was only joking." The girl's eyes widened with fear.

"Some test? But I do not know anything!"

"It's okay. I do not know anything as well and besides look around everyone is as scared and nervous as you and me." And surely they could see everyone's terrified expression clearly etched upon there faces. Well almost all except a girl with fiery red hair and emerald green eyes who was whispering very fast about all the spells that she had learned and wondering which one would she need.