~5~

Damien’s POV:

All I could see was darkness. It was peaceful. I didn't want to leave.

“Damien!”

“No! Leave me alone. I want to stay!”

I started to run away from the voice but it kept stalking me.

“Damien!”

I began to run faster. I had to escape. I don’t want to deal with reality, but the voice grabbed me and pulled me out of the peaceful darkness. I bolted up from the floor to find Mari, Wes, and Joven staring at me. A burning pain bounced around in my skull.

“What happened?”

They all looked at each other with a puzzled expression. Mari finally began to speak, “You don't remember?”

“No. That's why I asked.”

“Shayne beat the crap out of you. Wes pulled him off and he ran away.”

I groaned in pain and layed back down.

“Do you guys have any Advil?”

Mari reached into her purse and pulled out a big bottle of pain pills.

“One or two?”

I held up two fingers. Even talking hurt, surprisingly.

After swallowing the pills with a gulp of water, I rubbed my head and sighed. “Did anyone go after him?” I mumbled, grimacing through the pain.

“No. I was going to, but he seemed angry. It was probably best to leave him alone,” Joven replied.

I stood up and walked away. They all followed after me.

“Damien! Where are you going?” Mari yelled from behind me.

“Home.”

I had to save Y/N from Shayne. He's going crazy. The last time he was like this was when his parents got a divorce. He must be going through a whole bunch of stuff. I have to help him, for Y/N’s sake and for his own. If I don't, he'll do something stupid. I can't let him hurt himself and the people around him. I began to run through the building and to my car. I hopped in my car and started the engine. I have to find him. I bet he's at the tree. I pulled out of the parking lot and headed to the park.

Sure enough, he was lying in the shade of the oak tree. The park fell into silence as I killed the engine. He was nursing a black eye when I reached him. Maybe I wasn't as weak as he thought.

“You got me good,” the blond mumbled without looking up.

“Could say the same,” I said with a slight smirk, gesturing to my nose. “Look, Shayne, I’m-”

“It's fine, I provoked you. I should be the one apologising. I never should have gotten in the way of you and Y/N. You two are best friends.”

I sighed. Y/N saw us as best friends…she had no idea how I felt. She didn't know how beautiful her eyes were in the light, or how her laugh gives me butterflies. How my heart skips a beat when she says my name. How she fits perfectly in my arms, as if shaped specifically for them. She has no clue how she amazes me.

“Damien,” Shayne's voice interrupted my trance. “Done daydreaming yet?”

“Sorry.”

“...You really do love her, don't you?”

I nodded. He knew I did, more than anyone.

“I'll back off. No girl is worth ruining a friendship over.” I smiled at him, sat down and gave him a side hug.

“So man, what's going on anyways? The last time you were like this was when your parents got a divorce.” A silent tear rolled down his cheek. He stayed silent for a good amount of time. He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

“Well… my mom got together with a man. He's a drunk, but she loves him apparently. He hit her and she won't let me do a damn thing. Do you have any idea how it feel to be completely helpless? It freaking sucks....”

I gave him another side hug.

“Awww man…. That sucks… I'm sorry. People like that deserve to burn in hell.”

“Yeah and on top of all of that my dad has colon cancer. I have to watch him die. He's refusing surgery, because he can't live without my mom and I can't freaking change his mind. You'd think he'd listen to his son, but no. I guess I don't matter.”  

I sighed. Both of Shayne's parents were good people, to have both of them going through this must be horrible for him.

“First of all.. your mother's boyfriend is a douche and I will hurt him myself. Second… your dad is taking the coward's way out. He's putting himself over his own son and it's not right. I can't change what's going on, Shayne, but I will definitely be by your side as you fight this battle.”

Shayne smiled at me.

“Thanks bro. It really means a lot.”

I stood up, brushed all the dirt off of my jeans and held out my hand.

“Let's go man. We can go get something to eat if you want.”

“How about takeout and video games?” Shayne suggested, grabbing my hand and pulling himself up. “I'm in the mood for Thai food.”

“Sounds good to me. It's good to have you back, man.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THANK YOU -paperlessWings FOR HELPING ME WRITE THIS CHAPTER. SHE WILL CONTINUE TO HELP ME WITH CHAPTERS AHEAD.
                                                   ~ALEX