College year one-11

6:04.

It was 6:04, when I saw the door open. The guy pointed to the corner seat that was reserved, and the girl nodded and walked over. She seemed my age, so I'm guessing they were teenagers. She was wearing a really short dress and a scarf, as if they had just come from a club. The guy walked near to me. Before I could actually see him, I could smell him. "Alcohol" I muttered, disgusted. But I smiled and stared at him as he walked near. He came near, and I finally got a good look at his face.

Taehyung!!

I shot another glance at the girl in the corner seat. She looked over, and I saw her face. It was the girl he was making out with.

My smile faltered, but I put it back on. I could see Scott of to the side, pretending he was doing something other than watching me. "Yes, how may I hel-" He cut me off. "I'd like a coffee, peasant." I nodded and rang it up. I handed him his receipt. "It'll be here in a minute, sir." He didn't seem drunk, but I could clearly smell the amount of alcohol. Ugh.

He stood there, waiting for his order. There was a line behind him. "Uh, sir? If you could please move to the side bar for your order, it'd be greatly appreciated." He seemed to be thinking it. "How about no?" I nodded and sighed. I looked at the person behind him. "I am so sorry for the inconvenience, but we appear to have a bit of a problem. If you could please start another line right here next to this man, please." She nodded and stood next to the man. "Yes, so may I please take your order?" Taehyung seemed so taken aback.

Just then, Matt came out with Taehyung's order. I took it to the side place. "This is for a Kimi Tahini" I say, purposely saying it wrong. Taehyung growled and cut through the line. "I hope you enjoy your order, sir." He didn't say anything and took his order to the corner seat.

I went back to the line and re-adjusted it so that it was normal again. "I'm so sorry for that, may I please take your order?" The woman smiled and placed her order. She left a tip also. Scott stood next to me and whispered. "That has to be the best way to handle that. Hiring you was definitely not a mistake." I smiled and nodded.

I continued taking orders, and the café seemed to never run out of place. It seemed to be because there was a door at the back that led to another huge place filled with tables and chairs. I heard a loud sound and turned my head to the corner seat, where they were making out. When I turned my head, Taehyung's eyes met mine. I looked away in disgust. I know he liked Areum, but a different girl every day? He'll run out of girls. Just then Nam walked in. My eyes widened.

"Nam!" He smiled. "Arin, I didn't know you worked here." "I'm new here."

He placed his order. "I'll take a coffee and a cheesecake." I nodded and rang him up. After handing him his receipt, he leaned over. "Would you like me to keep you company?" I looked over to Scott, who just silently brought over another stool. I nodded thanks to him. Nam joined me, and we laughed and talked. I could feel someone's gaze on us, but I had no idea who. The entire café was packed.

A woman came up to us. "You two look so nice together." Nam almost spit out his coffee. "Oh, we're not a thing." I said, gesturing to us. She smiles and shakes her head. "You still look good together. Anyway, may I place my order?" I then saw Taehyung cut in front of her, and she fell to the floor. I exited the cashier spot and helped the woman up. "Oh sorry maam, some customers are a bit grouch this late. Here, please place your order." I followed her to her seat, and then asked her for her order. It was just one black coffee. "Thank you maam. It'll be on the house." I walk back to the cashier spot where Nam and Taehyung were glaring at each other.

I cut in and put in the lady's order. I pull out the receipt and got up to give it to the lady, but Nam intercepted. "Here, I'll give it to her." I handed it to him. "Thank you so much, you're such a gentleman." I smiled at him and he returned it. "You're the real nice person here."

I turned back to the cashier and didn't look up. "How may I help you sir?" There was a bit of silence, and I waited. "I'll take a cream coffee, whipped cream, caramel." The voice was different. I looked up to see it was the girl I had kicked. I nodded. "Anything else?" "No, just get the order ready quickly, peasant." I nodded, pushing away the urge to slap him.

"It'll be ready in a few minutes." The girl went and sat down. Taehyung first rolled his eyes and walked away muttering about lowly peasants being slow. Nam came back and sat next to me.

The lady's black coffee was ready, I went and gave it to her. "Oh thank you, it really wasn't necessary. You're so nice." I smiled at her. "It's no problem, and I apologize for our grumpy customers. The coffee is free." She smiled. "Oh you're so polite. Here." She pulled out a hundred-dollar bill. I shook my hands. "Uh...that's not necessary. It's not a big deal." She pressed it into my hands. "Very few people contain the politeness you have, please, just take it." I looked around.

No one was looking, so I took the bill. "Thank you." She nodded. I walked back to my seat and Scott came to me, arms folded. "You can't give out free things." "I paid for it with my money." He looked startled. "Oh, never mind, sorry." He left. Nam opened his cheesecake. "Here, take a bit, you must be hungry." Truth is I was, but I rejected. "I'm fine." He sighed. "Please, one bite?" I sighed and took a bite. He offered another one, but it was only cream. I was about to say no, but he rubbed the cream onto my nose.

"Rudolph the white nosed reindeer." "Yah!" I grabbed a napkin and wiped off the cream. After a little more talking and taking orders, Scott came back to me. "It's 8:00, you're off the hook." He handed me $60. "Good job today. If this continues, I'll raise your pay. You did good today. Also, the tips are all yours. I checked the tips. I grabbed all of the tips the $60 and put them in my purse. I got up, but Nam grabbed my hand. "I'd like 2 coffees? Please?" He gave me a pouty face.

I sighed and rang him up. Scott let us sit in the café. It was now only half full was 6-7 was the special hour. I sat across from him, and Scott himself gave us the coffees. "Other than the lovebirds, you have an ideal slot because 6-7 is the most customers and also the most tips." I smiled. "I guess so." Nam took one coffee and handed me the other one.

"Oh, this was for me." He nodded. "Thank you." I sipped the coffee. "Wow, this place has good coffee." He nodded. After we finished our coffee, he offered me his jacket. "You might get cold outside." "Aww, thank you" I gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Bye Scott, I'll be back tomorrow." Nam and I walked outside. "Would you like me to walk you home." I nodded, at this point, I've realized walking alone is the worst thing I could do. We walked home.

We stopped in front of my house. "So... you aren't coming to school tomorrow?" I nodded. "I need a week off. I've already finished all the homework." He widened his eyes. "Woah. That was fast."

"Yep." I opened the gate. "Thank you so much Nam. You kept me from being bored today. And I'll repay you for the coffee." I say fumbling for my purse. He shook his head. "You're good. Consider it 'on the house.'". I thanked him and walked inside. I locked the door. I heard a scratching sound. I see Dart at the door. "Dart! Oh my god I'm such a bad person. I let him in. I checked my watch. It's only 8:00. I let Dart inside and sat with him on the couch. I called the pet shop. The lady picked up. "Hello?"

"Yes, it's me. I adopted Dart today."

"Oh, Arin, yes?"

"Do you know how to install a dog flap on doors."

She sighed.

"If you'd like, I can send somebody to do it right now or tomorrow morning."

I gratefully thanked her. "Yes, now please. How much is it?"

"$50." I nodded, but she wouldn't be able to see that. "I got it. I've got the money ready."

"They'll be there in 15 minutes." I hung up and went to my purse. I already had 60 dollars, plus tips is 105, then adding the lady's tip...I had made 205! $205 in one day? Wow. I gathered $50. The man came in, and he installed a dog flap on the front and back doors. I thanked and paid him.

"Well, Dart, welcome to your new house."