Peace

Chapter 20 is now up Charlotte McCarthy is reunited with Donnie Murphy as she joins Easy Company what will happen?

Chapter 20:

Austria, July 1945

Charlotte McCarthy had stood there as she faced Major Winters with Lieutenant Lipton as Major Winters went through her record as he said, "Sgt McCarthy, quite a record on you won the Distinguished Service Cross for saving 200 patients throughout the war" "Just doing my job, Sir" "May I say you're a credit to US Army Nurse Corps" "Doing my duty sir. They asked me to be a liaison for you" "From what I hear of Sgt Murphy, he spoke highly of you" "How is Plt Sgt. Murphy, Sir?" "He's well, you'll be meeting him soon and you'll meet Doc Roe and Doc Spina too." "Yes Sir" "Lieutenant Lipton escort Sgt McCarthy to introduce herself to the company" Lipton nodded as he said, "Yes Sir, Follow me Sergeant" "Yes Sir."

Both Lipton and Charlotte had exited the office and began walking down a corridor as they headed for a massive room where the company was waiting as Lipton had then asked, "So Sgt where are you from?" "Chicago lived on the same street as Donnie growing up" "What was he like?" "An irritating pain in the ass" Lipton had to supress a chuckle as he said, "Let me guess had a red-hot temper" "You've seen it?" "Every man has. But there is a side to him of thoughtfulness and a big heart" "He was something, he was very talented, but I always had him on a leash" "He's a good guy. A great soldier."

Charlotte smiled as she said, "Being a soldier is in his blood. He's loyal, crafty and not afraid to go above and beyond" "You described him to a T" "I know Lieutenant." The two had continued walking until they had walked into the room as every man turned and saw Lipton and Charlotte with them, but they didn't know who it was as Lipton had said, "Everyone, meet Sgt Charlotte McCarthy, she will be joining us as a liaison with the Army Nurse Corps and she knows Sgt Murphy too."

Lipton had signalled Charlotte to introduce herself as she began walking over to the middle and said, "Hi everyone. As Lt Lipton said, I know Sgt Murphy he is basically my cousin. But I treat him like a brother, I joined the Nurse Corps before Pearl Harbour. And I was stationed there too." Every man in the company nodded as they listened to her story before introducing themselves to the new addition to Easy Company.

Crossroads Checkpoint

Outside Salzburg and Saalfelden

Donnie had been on crossroads duty, it had kept his mind off things in the Pacific and he had shared the duty with a veteran German soldier included as the soldier had told him about his journey, "France. France was the best" "That right?" "Yes, five years, I was in every country. But France is at the very top of the list, Italy is second best. Russia wasn't the best and Ukraine it was average. What about you?" "France, I guess but England was the best one, Holland was alright and Belgium, it was fine despite all the snow."

Murphy had then dug into his pockets and pulled out a pack of smokes as he handed them to the soldier saying, "Keep them if you want" "You don't smoke?" "No, every man in family never did despite being in the military but they knew how to handle their fears." He then pulled out a matchbook and lit a match lighting the man's cigarette as the soldier took a long drag on it as Donnie asked, "When do you get out of the service?" "The unit is discharged; my captain will get transferred and then I'll head off." "Where do you live?" "Mannheim." "Sounds nice" "What about you?" "Chicago, though, I may move to New York when I get married." "I had many wonderful years with my wife Greta, we'd retire and watch the world peacefully." "Sounds like a dream life. I might never stop fighting, I'll be a cop and defend the city I swore to protect so that my future wife and kids can live happily without living in fear." "Being married is a blessing, I hope you enjoy wonderful things with your wife." "She's the best thing that ever happened to me, been engaged for 2 years and she supports what I want to do, her family were like my family. Patriotic, honest to god and loyal." "All the best qualities, when's your relief get here?" "Should be around now."