Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

"Scinece, Lincoln, I want you to stay close to me. The Yule Council will be visiting tonight and I don't particularly trust them around you," their mother said, patting them on the head and giving them a kiss on the cheek. Even as children, Scinece and Lincoln knew they were different and people didn't like different. Their pale, almost white skin differed from their pack, them having tan or darker skin; their white hair shocked most people but others just assume they dyed it and heed no notice; but it was their red eyes that startled everyone they meet. The twins were ignored in the pack but they didn't mind. It was better than being pushed around or bullied.

"Aliah, where are you? We need to get going, the Yule Council will be here any minute," a deep voice said from downstairs. Aliah shouted back, "We'll be right down, Jim." Fixing Lincoln's bowtie and fussing over Scinece's hair one more time, she gave the twins a smile and ushered them out the room. They made their way downstairs where everyone has crowded, all wearing their most formal clothing. This is actually the first time Scinece and Lincoln attend the party because any children below twelve were put in the children's room, so the Yule Council don't know yet about their existence.

Everyone stared at the pair making their way to one of the unoccupied couches. Lincoln was used to the staring, Scinece wasn't. She bowed her head and didn't look at anyone in the eyes. The pair sat down and while Lincoln looked around, Scinece pulled a book from the small shelf next to them. It was a medical book and she perused the pages, absorbing the information. Medicine has always intrigued her, especially since her mother was the pack doctor. Scinece always watched her mother work on patients. She was completely into the book that she jumped when someone laid a hand on her shoulder. It was Lincoln and he seemed to be looking at someone. Following his gaze, she saw five old people talking with Alpha Faust. "Who are they? Are they the Council?" she asked, still looking at them. Then one of them turned her head and made eye contact with Scinece. Scinece froze, unable to tear her eyes away from the woman. Her eyes were a multitude of colors and seemed to draw you in. The woman smirked at Scinece and looked away, releasing Scinece from her trance. Lincoln was shaking her when she finally collected her thoughts.

"Scinece, that's the Council. I think we should go find mom and dad," he said, looking at the Council every few seconds. Lincoln was uncomfortable in their presence and even more when he noticed how two of the members kept looking at them, their expressions greedy. And when one of them connected gazes with Scinece, he was so worried and almost went to find their parents, but he couldn't leave Scinece alone. From the corner of his eye, he saw the entire Council making a beeline towards them. He bristled when he felt their presence right behind him. A raspy voice suddenly asked, "Is she okay?" Lincoln slowly turned his head to look at them and he's never felt so small. He cleared his throat and said, "Y-yes, sir. We were just going to look for our mom." He helped Scinece stand and the man who spoke before moved aside. The twins moved past them and walked toward the kitchen where their parents and the Alpha and Luna were. He felt their eyes on their backs as they pushed open the kitchen door. It was only when he closed the door that he let out a breath.

Aliah immediately noticed them. Scinece was shaking and Lincoln was clenching and unclenching his hands. She was by their side in a flash and ushered them to the counter. Quickly filling up two glasses with water, she handed them to the twins, who didn't even notice it. Lincoln was rubbing Scinece's back and offering her words of comfort. Aliah crouched beside Lincoln and asked, "What happened?" Lincoln didn't answer, still busy comforting his sister. Jim made his way through the small crowd in the kitchen and to the twins' side. He sat down and pulled Scinece out of Lincoln's hold and laid her on his lap. Jim rocked back and forth, lulling Scinece to sleep. He looked at Aliah for answers but she shrugged and said, "Lincoln isn't talking."