Chapter 7- One in a Thousand

I woke up when I felt a light breeze run over my face. I looked around the small room I now call home. The desk had a lamp on it, for late night projects. The shelf had nothing but a light layer of dust that seemed to have settled since it was last clean. My window was cracked open, since it had been stuffy last night. The noise of the base’s day crew was also let in. I walked over and watched everyone run around. Over by the far end, I saw what looked like a team leaving, and could make out both Ghost’s black outfit and Phoenix’s bright hair, along with another figure who matched her appearance and one who was taller and bulky. Looking around the base made me feel better, until I remember what happened last night.

---------------------------------------------      

        Sometime in the night I had woke up and decided to try and apologize to Fox for my attitude. Guess I’ll have to become more docile In order to get along with everyone here. There was a chill in the air, so I had wrapped up in my bed sheets. As I passed through the living room, I noticed Father had gone back to his chair, and was fast asleep. It seemed he was trying to go over some files, and just got too tired. I closed the folder he was holding and sat it down on the table beside him.

      I got to Fox’s door, but I still hadn’t decided what I’d say to her. I sat down across the hall to get my thoughts straight before I knocked, just so I didn’t start another fight. I must’ve been more tired than I thought; because I fell asleep before I cleared my head.

      I was awoken by a crash. The sheet had somehow been pulled up over my shoulders. Fox’s door was open, so I jumped up and checked in there first. She wasn’t there. I heard Father yell out from the kitchen.

      “I don’t care what I said before, you can’t just go and do what you want, Ghost. Especially scaring her when she’s already half asleep,” He argued.

      I heard a muffled voice as I walked into the living room. There was a figure dressed in our all-black uniform, with an added on hood to the jacket. He was about six feet and seven inches tall, give or take an inch. He had the hood pulled over his head, but it didn’t hide the pure white colored hair that seemed to glow in the light. He looked over at me, and all I could look at was his eyes. They were a white more pure than his hair, and seemed to burn with mystery. He has some sort of tattoo around his right eye, like some of the tribal ones that the guards wear, but it was jet black. It seemed to move a little before staying in place, like the black flames I had used earlier that day. A tight mask, the same color as his uniform, covered the lower half of his face. It came out from below his ears, and curved around over his nose, and didn’t seem to end until just above his collar bones.

      “And I see you let the ones here sleep in the same place,” the deep, muffled voice said. Before I spoke up, Father corrected him.

      “Oh, he was just trying to apologize for his earlier attitude toward your older sister.”

      “We’re both nineteen, so she’s not older.” Ghost replied.

      “Well, you know these latest results have stopped you all from aging. And considering you’re both second generations, and she was Tainted a year before you, not to mention that you refused the new chemical mixture until you was seventeen-“

      “I get your point, but it still doesn’t explain why he was sleeping with her to apologize.” Ghost interrupted.

      “I wasn’t sleeping with her. I had just got up to apologize and ended up sleeping in the hall.” I said.

      His mask was tight enough for me to see his lips form a smile.

      “Ah, someone who acts like Maddog, but knows when he goes too far. Just what I always wanted in another little brother.” Ghost had said.