17. Mind stress

Caylie POV

Grace leads Drake and the rest of us upstairs to her room.

We are trying to contact heaven, so Grace can fully understand why she remembers everything about that place.

What Grace tells us doesn't make any sense, really. Heaven was supposed to be a place where we wanted to go. I always wanted to go there when I died. There are 2 problems with that. First, I don't actually go there when I die. I simply stop existing. And second, I don't want to go there anymore. The way they control us makes me sick.

It makes me wonder if the thoughts running through my head right now are being controlled. Maybe not my thoughts, but my actions. Maybe I knew about this world before, and they just erased my memory so I wouldn't blow their cover.

I would almost prefer it if Grace hadn't told me about this. Nothing I do is hidden. Nothing I do is for certain. Nothing I do is my choice. It scares me a little.

"So, um, what's the plan?" Alex asks Grace and Drake.

"Well, I'm planning on going back in time and sending them a message that they will receive on the day that I woke up here" she says. Wow. That's a pretty straight forward plan. But it does sound like a difficult one.

"Okay" I say "when do we start?"

"We kind of already did" Drake says sheepishly. He glares at Grace. I'm guessing she started before he was ready.

"I know how to do it now, though!" Grace says, defensively. She sounds like a kid defending the time she snuck some candy.

"You know how?" Cheryl asks looking surprised.

"Yeah" she says, smiling. "I went back to the time when I learned how to, and got taught the lesson all over again."

I smile. This plan won't take that long at all. Grace already knows how to do it.

"There was a reason I wasn't listening the first time" she says. "And it wasn't because I had something else to do"

We all laugh.

"Okay" she says, catching herself between giggles. "I need to practise now"

"How do you practise for something like this?" Kate asks. I agree. How do you practise for something like this?

"I need to send a practise message" she says. "I'll just send one to my mom telling her that she's doing her job in heaven amazingly."

That sounds sound. It sounds like a really good plan. Better than the Grace I thought I knew could've done. As far as I know, she wasn't good at thinking straight in a time of crisis.

"I'll be back ASAP" she says, and closes her eyes.

Grace POV

I close my eyes. I go back in time to some random memory of mine, but when I capture it, the scene looks a little blurry. It doesn't look as real as it's supposed to. It looks like it's faded.

I don't know what's happening, but I know I need to focus anyways. Hopefully, the message will still be able to send.

I focus on my mother, who is in the room with me, I enter her mind, and send her a message telling her she's doing a good job at her job. It's successful.

I only sent the memory for five minutes later. My mom suddenly stops, and smiles. I can tell the message just arrived. It worked.

I come back to consciousness, and my eyes flutter open. I don't know why the scene looked blurry, but I'm sure it doesn't matter. I probably didn't concentrate hard enough. It'll work properly next time.

"Did it work?" Drake asks me, sounding anticipated.

I smile and respond brightly "it did. I think this could work"

That's all we decided to do today. We plan on taking it slowly, so we don't over stress my mind. I think that makes sense. Doesn't it? I'm not really sure. Ever since I got back from that memory, I've been finding it hard to process my thoughts properly.

When they leave, it is only 5:30, but my mind feels exhausted and overworked. Maybe that memory was hard to conjure, so my mind feels tired. Yes. That seems logical.

I pull on my pyjamas, and hop into bed. I fall asleep pretty quickly.

I have a dream where my plan backfires and I end up messing up the whole worlds lives by accident. I scream and wake myself up.

Funnily, I don't remember why I was screaming. I can't remember that dream anymore, but I can't remember something else as well. Who was that friend I had in heaven again?

A/n- okay, so I'd like to give @11th_treasure a huge shout out, for giving me the idea for the end of this chapter. Thanks so much!

-GoodyGoody