Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

The phone rang and rang. It went to voice mail so I left a message with my number. It wasn’t till around midnight that he called me back. He must have been nervous. He woke me up but Ava being like her father slept through it.

 “Hello” I said with a groggy voice.

 “Paige” Came his questioning yet shocked voice.

 “Yes who is this you woke me up!” I replied a little snippy and agitated.

 I was sure who it was I just wanted to make him sweat. He was silent for a while probably not knowing what to do.

 “Mom quit getting even with whoever woke you up and just finish the phone call already.”

 I laughed. She was a grump like him too “Grump” I hissed back.

 There was laughter on the other end.

 “I see you are still the same and it sounds like someone doesn’t share your fondness for little sleep.”

 “You are right on that one. She takes after her father.”

 Ava snapped up in bed and stared at me. She pointed to the phone and I shook my head yes. She started bouncing and quietly getting excited.

 “I am putting the phone on speaker while I get me some coffee to drink I hope you don’t mind.”

 I actually did this for Av and she blew me a kiss thanking me. I hated lying to him but I always put my daughter first. Plus I don’t think he would actually care and I was nervous myself.

 “Come on Paige you are doing this to get even with your child for being a grump.”

 “Actually no Av’s a good kid and I need some tea to help me sleep.”

 “I thought you were getting coffee?” Shit busted!

 Shit I mouthed quietly. Av put her hand over her mouth to stifle a laugh.

 “No I changed my mind. I would smell the coffee all through this place. Besides, Tea is faster. Plus its herbal with no caffeine which is better considering I need to go back to sleep.” There that was some fast thinking, a bit of rambling, but quick BS response none the less.

 “Okay” He said with a questioning tone. He knew me too well yet. I don’t think I fooled him.

 “Remember you woke me up.”

 “Does the penalty still stand?” he asked laughing. I could hear the smile on his face.

 Ava mimed a gagging symbol and had the most grossed out look on her face.

 “So what did you want? Did you just need a friend to talk to or have you been systematically calling all your ex’s?”

 “I know you are still pissed at me but I need to talk to you.”

 “So Shoot”

 “Umm can we talk in person?”

 “Kat you are in Texas that’s a little far.” Ava mouthed Kat obviously confused with her browns drawn together.

 “No I am in Kalamazoo.”

 I heard the phone hit the floor. Ava and I snickered we couldn’t help it. She actually pulled a pillow over her face because she couldn’t stop.

 “Kalamazoo?”

 “Yes, I don’t think I stuttered. When can we meet up?”

 “How about now if you can?” the anxiousness in his voice was almost too much to take.“You know what never mind that’s just crazy. I need some sleep. I have had a bit of a rough time lately but you need not worry with that. What are you doing tomorrow morning let’s say around 6?”

 “Waking up Av so than we can head to her Grandfather’s house. So we can meet there at 6:30 just in case I am late.”

 “Sounds good and Paige thanks for calling it’s good to hear from friends.” The way he said ‘friends’ seemed strained and painful.

 “Yeah see you then I am going back to sleep now.”

 Ava rolled over without another word and we both went to sleep. Oddly enough I didn’t dream and morning came way too early.

 I pulled out the album Matt put in my bag and laid it on her bed for when she woke. I was still in the shower when I heard a knock at the door.

 “Yes” I yelled over the shower.

 “Mom can I come in?” The sadness in her voice was heart wrenching.

 “Of chores honey”

 The door opened slowly and I heard her pad into the room lowering the toilet seat and sit down. She didn’t say anything. I knew not to push her she just needed time.

 “Mom what is this?”

 I turned off the shower now that I was finished. Wrapped the towel around me and exited the shower. I sat on the floor just in front of her. She was hugging the photo album to her chest and her hands were shaking with a death grip on it. I reached up grabbing her hands forcing her to release the album. I laid it in her lap and grabbed her other free hand.

 “Honey, that is a photo album of you father and his family. Matt put it together for you.” She had tears streaming down her face.

 “Why now?”

 “I am sorry if I didn’t do this right. I thought it would just be easier in small doses. I should have given this to you earlier.” I hung my head.

 Ava placed a shaking hand on my head “No, I mean why this morning and not later, you know after?”

 “I thought you may want to see what he looks like before you meet him.”

 She placed her hand on my cheek. In such a loving way I was beyond touched. Ava reached down and opened the album. Her breath caught in her throat and she looked at me with saucer eyes.

 “I told you that you looked like him.”

 “Yeah mom looked like him not mirror image of him.”

 “Hey you got some of me in you too!”

 “I can see why you were attracted to him. He was quite handsome. Wow I feel weird saying that about my father.” Little giggles escaped from both of us.

 “Yeah he is you father but it is not unusual to hear you say that. Your father had women throwing themselves at him constantly. I felt like I needed to carry around a bat.”

 She laughed “Mom how did you meet?”

 “Well actually it’s a funny story. Why don’t we go and sit down on the bed and I will tell you. Be mindful we need to finish getting ready and on the way I can finish if needed.”

 “Ok”