chapter 9 - Puppet Show

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Morning - Sunnydale High School - Auditorium

Backstage, a student named Emily was doing ballet stretching exercises. The camera showed her from a demon's point of view as he observed her from low to the floor. "I will be whole. I will be new."

The camera moved through the backstage area. A number of students were practicing their acts for the school talent show. Among them were Lisa playing her tuba and Marc rehearsing his magic act. The camera eventually reached Morgan and his dummy, Sid. Morgan rubbed his temples in pain, looking around.

On stage, Cordelia was singing "The Greatest Love of All" off key. "Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all / I decided long ago." Giles was forced to overview everything about the talent show, but he did not want to be there. "Never to walk in anyone's shadow / If I fail, if I succeed, at least--"

"Thank you, Cordelia," Giles cut her off. "Tha--that's going to be lovely."

"But I didn't do the part with the sparklers," Cordelia told him.

"Um, w-we'll, um... save that for the dress rehearsal," Giles told her, anxious to get rid of her. "Uh, Lisa! Please!"

Cordelia groaned, putting the microphone back on its stand and left the stage. Lisa set up with her tuba, beginning her solo. Giles rubbed his eyes.

Eric, Buffy, Brooke, Brady, Alice, Carmen, Zoey, Willow and Xander walked down the center aisle toward Giles.

"If it isn't the great producer," Alice told him.

They all sat in the seats surrounding Giles.

"Had to see this to believe it," Brady told him.

"Oh, you," Giles told them.

"The school talent show," Zoey told him in mock. "How ever did you finagle such a primo assignment?"

"Our new Führer, Mr. Snyder," Giles answered.

"I think they call them 'principals' now," Willow told him.

"Mm," Giles hummed. "He thought it would behoove me to have more contact with the students. I did try to explain that my vocational choice of librarian was a deliberate attempt to minimize said contact, but, uh, he would have none of it."

"Giles, unto every generation is born one who must run the annual talentless show," Buffy teased. "You cannot escape your destiny.",

"If you had any shred of decency, you would have participated, or at least, um, helped," Giles told them.

"Nah," Brooke  told him. "I think I'll take on your traditional role... and watch."

"And learn to never fall prey to this society," Carmen teased.

"And mock," Xander added.

"And laugh," Eric added.

They all laughed.

"Okay," Alice told them. "I think maybe we better leave my father to this business he calls a show."

"Thank you, Alice," Giles told her.

They stood, turning to,walk up the aisle to leave.

Principal Snyder was waiting there for them.