Lucia Evangelina

Start writing your story

Eva

I barged into the hospital with my husband on my heels, our sleeping baby sleeping contently in her carrier as I demanded to speak with whomever could help us, my rage and terror now growing after Proctor revealed the heinous facts about our baby.

My phone vibrated but I ignored the constant buzzing and shouted at the nurse who was at the desk, the one who always had a new gossiping story to tell to the rest of her team. "I need someone to test my baby's blood right now!" I spat, making her jump out of her seat and race around the desk to see what the damage was. "It is not an emergency but I need someone to do it immediately." I snarled, watching her raise her nose and page another nurse, sending Tuck out to the front with a confused smile.

"Dr. Zambrano, Chris? What's going on?" He asked carefully, noting the baby carrier that Chris carefully held close to his hip. "I will explain if you get us a triage room to take her blood." I groaned, following the big man to a room, shutting the door behind us. "We are in the middle of a legal court case, and Proctor told me that Lucia could have come from the gang that has been tormenting us. My head is spinning because he helped us cut through some red tape to get her, we were able to skip a couple steps to get to the adoption because he knew some people at the agencies, but I am afraid of something much worse. I just need to know." I mumbled, regretting the fact that we had settled with a closed adoption.

"Isn't it illegal to get the birth mother's records?" He asked, but I shook my head at him and rubbed my temples, looking over at Chris who looked just as upset over this whole ordeal. "We can try and look for a match, I don't need to look at her records, but I just need to know if my daughter is in danger." I growled, looking over at my husband who nodded and began to remove her from the car seat, making her squirm then open her eyes, a smile spreading on her lips.

"She has been in danger, this man has been to our home, she has been here while he was working! I have no idea what he has orchestrated, or what he has been involved in!" Chris cried, looking at our daughter who was now reaching out for him with a gurgle, making him exhale and pull her closer to his chest. Tuck nodded and began to open the plastic packages of pediatric needles for the blood sample, my phone buzzing once more, making me groan and finally answer it.

"Teresa this is not a good time." I answered shortly, but she did not hesitate to continue with her breathy tangent. "Where the hell have you been? I have been calling you!" She shouted back, clearly worried or upset over something, but just rolled my eyes and mouthed her name to my husband who was now perched on the table with our baby in his lap.

"We're at the hospital, Lucia needs some blood work." I explained, trying to be as vague as humanly possible. "Good! God- I think we found something in our paperwork, okay I need your help right now, how old is she right now?" She asked urgently, making me roll my eyes at her and count in my head.

"She was younger than the baby that was promised to us, she was about three months when we got her, and Gideon was born about two months later, and it's been a month- so about six and a half months." I answered, watching Tuck wipe her arm off once he found her tiny vein, making my heart pound.

"Exactly! On my form she is saying that she 'gave birth' to Gideon two months before he was actually born, on July-"

"Seventeenth." I finished, her silence confirming my accuracy. "She thinks that I have her baby because we are step sisters." She started, but an idea sparked in my head getting me more worked up as I stared at my crying daughter who was now thrashing in Chris' arms due to the small needle prick. "Or she was manipulated to think that it was you who took her." I began, my mind now racing as I motioned for Chris to pull the curtains on the room so no outside onlookers or staff could see us in the room.