× 5 ×

Minseok pressed a button on the coffee maker and coffee began pouring into the cup.

"Wow, maybe it's because you said you're a barista, but it looks different from how we do it," Luhan said. "Don't you guys think so?"

Kris shrugged. "That's not my style."

"What is your style?" Chen asked as he picked up the cup. He then took a sip. "Hm, it's better than my usual drinks." He smiled at Minseok. "As expected of a barista."

Minseok smiled back.

xxx

Minseok almost dropped the cup he had been holding. "Um, two chocolate chip frappes!" he announced quieter than he was supposed to as he shoved the drinks onto the pick-up counter.

"Jongdae!" Minseok heard Baekhyun say. "You're back!"

"Yeah," Jongdae answered with his usual smile. "Suho called me yesterday. He said there was a position open for me again."

"So you're going to be working here?" Minseok interrupted. "With me?"

Jongdae laughed. "You don't have to look so mad about it."

"Oh." Minseok felt his face turn red. "Sorry, I wasn't mad, I just . . ."

Jongdae shook his head, smiling. "I'm just teasing, it's fine. And, no, I'm not working on the same shift as you. I'll be taking over the shift after you guys."

Minseok nodded slowly. Did he feel relief or disappointment? "I see."

Suho then popped into the scene. "Ten minutes left, guys." He then noticed Jongdae. "Oh, thank goodness you're here. It looks like this will be your official position here."

"Why?" Baekhyun asked. "Who left? Or got fired?"

"It's going to be you if you don't go back to taking orders," Suho shot back. "Someone just came in. Get to it."

"How come I'm the only one you're threatening?" Baekhyun complained, though he still went over to take the order.

"Anyway, the person you're replacing is Sehun," Suho said to Jongdae. "That kid is fired. I don't care how many customers he draws in or what our parents say." Suho frowned. "I don't think he cares, anyway."

Jongdae opened his mouth to ask something but Baekhyun beat him to it.

"Two iced Caramel Macchiatos, before you all get fired!" Baekhyun yelled.

Suho sighed. "And I wonder why Baekhyun and Sehun are close," he muttered to himself. "Anyway, you should change soon, Jongdae. Before you lose your shot at the permanent position."

Minseok almost dropped the cup, and Jongdae immediately maintained a poker face.

Only Suho laughed triumphantly as he walked away. "I came up with it on the spot!" Minseok heard Suho say to himself as he left.

"That's definitely not something I missed while I was gone," Minseok said as he set the drinks on the counter. "Here you go," he said to the customers who took the drinks quickly.

"You made that really fast," Jongdae commented as he looked at Minseok with awe. "Wow."

"Oh . . ." Minseok looked away. "Yeah, I suppose. I really like to make coffee, so I have a lot of experience, I guess."

"Then can I try something you made?" Jongdae asked. "The way you make it makes me look like a total amateur. I bet it tastes different, too."

"You have to order and pay for your drink here, sir!" Baekhyun said. "Emphasis on pay."

Both Minseok and Jongdae ignored him.

"What do you want?" Minseok asked Jongdae. "Workers are allowed one free drink after three weeks of working. You've been here that long, right?"

Jongdae nodded. "Whatever you make the fastest. Since your shift is almost over."

"Okay," Minseok said, his hands already working the coffee machine. "It might be simpler than your expectations, though."

Jongdae shrugged. "That's okay. But I'm going to go get changed first. Is that alright?"

Minseok looked up to see Jongdae's smiling face. "Hm? Uh, yeah."

"Alright, I'll be back, then." Jongdae walked off and Minseok focused on the drink. Minseok always aimed to do his best, but he wanted this drink to please Jongdae a latte.

He spent too much time with Suho.

By the time Minseok placed the lid on the finished drink, Jongdae returned, wearing a barista uniform with his name on it.

"Ooh, is this mine?" Jongdae asked, reaching for the drink. He took a sip. "Wow!" He gave Minseok a thumbs-up. "This is really good. It's so much better than what I make. As expected of a hyung like you."

Minseok's eyes involuntarily widened at the term of endearment. The shock left just as quickly as it came, though, as it was replaced by a smile.