Chapter 7 - If All Else Fails, Speak Swahili

I was pouring myself a glass of sangria wine when the first person knocked on the door. I was hosting my first house party since moving to Canada and it was starting in about 5 minutes. I went to the door to open it. Standing there was Evie holding a bottle of vodka. She was wearing a sleeveless, mint dress with lace around the waist. I was wearing a long-sleeved, dark blue, two-piece dress with a white boa.

"Thought you might need this," she said, passing me the bottle.

"Yeah thanks, I'm about to run out," I put the vodka on the table and she came into the house.

"How much do you actually have?" she looked at me sceptically.

"Only 5 bottles!" we laughed. Within the next 10 minutes, the rest of the guests, including Shawn, Camila and Nash, had arrived and the party was well underway.

*A few drinks later*

"Hey," this random creep said to me, "What's your name, gorgeous?"

"Err...Felicity. What's yours?"

"Jacob Sartorius. So, is this your party, huh?"

"Yes," I said, trying to get away from him. He was edging closer, trying to dance with me. Maybe a bit too close for comfort. He kept talking to me but I just nodded in response. I was looking for a way to get away from this guy. I noticed Shawn in the crowd. He saw me with Jacob and instantly made his way here. He was almost here when all of a sudden, Jacob leaned in to kiss me. I tried to push him away but he was too strong. Luckily, Shawn came just in time and dragged Jacob away from me.

"Get away from her!" Shawn yelled at him furiously. They shouted at each other a lot and all the commotion attracted the attention of Evie, Camila and Nash. I needed to speak to Evie about what happened but I didn't want anyone else to know. I had just the thing. Swahili.

"Evie, umeona nini kilichotokea?" (Evie, did you see what happened?)

"La, ni sawa?" (No, are you OK?)

"Aina ya. Huyu alikuwa akizungumza nami na kisha akajaribu kumbusu. Shawn aliona na kumvuta kutoka kwangu." (Kind of. This guy was talking to me and then he tried to kiss me. Shawn saw and pulled him away from me.)

"Kwa hiyo, unafikiria nini kuhusu Shawn?" (So, what do you think about Shawn?) She asked.

"O Mungu wangu, yeye ni mkali sana!" (Oh my God, he is so hot!)

"Kweli? Nilidhani umemchukia." (Really? I thought you hated him.)

"La, nilikuwa ni bluffing tu. Mimi kweli kweli kama yeye." (No, I was just bluffing. I actually really like him.)

"What are you saying?" Shawn said, confused as fuck. Camila and Nash were staring at us blankly. I forgot that they couldn't understand Swahili.

I smirked at Shawn, "Ninashangaa ni nini unaonekana kama hauna nguo." (I wonder what you look like with no clothes on.) Evie gasped.

"What did she say?" Shawn asked worriedly.

Evie laughed, "Trust me, you don't want to know." I was honestly worried that she was going to pass out from laughing too much, she was already on the floor.

Jacob had slipped through the crowd so Shawn went to find him. "That guy is such a prick!" I said about Jacob.

"Yup. He's a sweaty bastard." Evie said.

"Total dickhead!" We laughed.

"What the hell are you saying?" Nash asked, " Weird English people."

This may have been because we were drunk but we suddenly burst into tears, " Why do you have to be so racist?" I cried.

"So insensitive!" Evie said.

Shawn instantly saw us and sprinted over. "Are you guys OK?" I pointed at Nash. Shawn grabbed him and pinned him to the wall, "What the fuck did you say to them?"

"I honestly don't know!" he cried and Shawn let him go.

"He was being racist and saying that we are weird British people!" Evie sobbed and then started laughing randomly, "Which, when you think about it, is actually really pathetic. I want cake, I know you have some Felicity." she went off in search cake, laughing like a maniac with Camila close behind. Shawn came over to me to see if I was alright.

"Are you OK?" he asked, concern in his eyes.

Suddenly, the tears stopped coming and I entered a state of complete and total calm. "Why are people racist? Why do they exist? What even is life? Are we just dreaming? Is anything even real?"

Shawn stared at me blankly, not quite sure what to do.

*Evie's P.O.V.*

I opened up the fridge to see about 8 different cakes inside and I was giddy with delight. I took out my phone and started to record a video, "Hey youtube! Today I will be showing you how to eat cake like a queen!"

"Evie, what are you doing?" Camila asked.

"Showing these guys how to eat cake, of course!" I said aside. Why else would I film a video? So naive.

"You don't have a youtube channel."

"Obviously I do! This is my girlfriend Camila!"

"Err, hi?"

"OK, so, first, we need to choose the cake! Now, most people make the mistake of eating only one cake. Amateurs. But why have one cake when you can have eight?" I took a handful of each cake and moulded it into one, "Who cares about presentation? So, now I'm going to eat a bit of this cake." I took a massive bite out of my crazy creation, "Oh yeah, that's nice! I'm getting the chocolate, some strawberry and a hint of mint! Now, excuse me one second."

I walked over to the bin and threw up. Badly. Camila rushed over and held back my hair. I came back on camera once I was done, "Sorry about that. I had a lot of alcohol earlier." I said before throwing up yet again.

*Felicity's P.O.V.*

"What were you speaking in earlier?" Shawn asked. Almost everyone had gone home now and we were just chatting.

"Swahili. I can also speak Spanish and French."

"Wow. So what were you saying?"

"I've been lying to you. I don't hate you. I think you're a nice guy."

"Really?" his face lit up.

"Yes. Of course, you should probably work on your temper but otherwise yes." I looked at him, he was beaming. Finally, the truth had come out. I turned to see Evie and Camila walk in.

"What happened?" Camila asked, "Are you two going out or something?"

I felt Shawn wrap his arms around my waist from behind me, "We are now," he said. I smiled at him. So, we're going out. This is going to be fun.