V

She was half of something that was willing to destroy.

Three days had passed of Lexi being woken up by a new pair of people and escorted to the training center. She learned names and faces quickly, but never sought them out after her hour to two hour workout was over. Each morning she tried something different, but never did she step up to the ring, not until she was challenged.

Then, she'd get ready, grab her breakfast, and head back to her room. The only time she came out was for another cup of coffee later or if Jocelyn wanted to show her a room she was allowed to go into. Lexi hadn't been given a full tour of the place, nor did she expect it. The different rooms had windows, however, that gave her a glimpse of how many small cabins were around the massive house she was tucked away in.

There were ten in the immediate radius.

Every new room and new cabin she counted left her slightly more dejected than the one before that. Lexi knew with every route she planned her chances of escaping were looking bleaker. It'd be better off to run out and end up with a bullet between her ears at this point.

But, she couldn't stop thinking about Elliot Knighting.

Lexi knew one of the only ways to stop him was to hit him where it counted, and she knew she was something that counted.

It had been a year ago at a meeting when they had first met, and he hadn't left her alone since. Lexi had received flowers and other gifts since then. His gifts were part of the reason she left home for a brief breath of fresh air, but it had apparently been the wrong move. She should have just kept throwing his gifts away or donating them.

But, she couldn't dwell on him. She had to put on a false face of happiness and quickly judging by where the sun was above the house because Jocelyn would be coming by soon to either visit for a while or show her a room. Lexi could hear the clack of the heels from down the hallway and found herself frowning.

Jocelyn rarely wore heels. She was a bedazzled sandals type of girl.

Lexi moved away from her windows quickly and sat down on her bed. From the small library, she had managed to snag a book of poetry to make her look busy even when she wasn't, so she popped that open in her lap somewhere towards the middle and dived in. it was hard to focus on the words in front of her when she was listening so intently to the heels on the hardwood in the halls.

It was close until it stopped outside. There was a muted conversation that she tried very hard to make out, but it proved impossible. Silence again. And then, the door swung open.

"Good afternoon," Lexi greeted. "It is afternoon, right?"

There was a small laugh. A very Jocelyn-esque giggle that pulled her from her book. The false friend she was making was dressed to the nines in a jewel-tone blue dress that hugged her body and stopped inches above her knees. The heels she wore were small and nude and set out the light gold jewelry she had on. Her hair was tied up loosely on the back of her head and her makeup was simple.

"It's almost dinner time actually, but yes, I guess afternoon works too, baby cakes," Jocelyn smiled.

It was then Lexi realized it was Friday. Theo would make his decision tonight at some party he wanted to drag her along to. That also meant she'd been gone for six days. Her father would have to be looking for her. Her mother would be crying. She's been in captivity for six days.

"You doing okay?" Genuine concern.

Lexi nodded, not trusting her voice.

Even though Jocelyn and her had become close, she wouldn't be able to ever trust her with everything that ran through her mind. At the end of the day, the redhead still worked for Theo. She was loyal to Theo. If she wasn't, then she wouldn't be here still. Lexi was just another chore for Jocelyn, and Lexi understood that.