Summer 1989 (one week later)

I don't go to my Magic Place anymore, now that I know it's Uncle Jacky's favorite place to smoke weed.
I try to avoid him as much as possible. I'm always with Grandma no matter where she goes.. The bathroom is the only place she's free of me. She doesn't seem to mind it much, and that's a relief.

Shonda and Shane keeps Uncle Jacky occupied and for that I'm also relieved. They're allowed to go "up town" and hang out with their friends more now that he's here, and willing to be their chaperone.
Grandma usually don't let them go into town much and especially without adult supervision. She says there's nothing but trouble up there... but it seemed like a quiet little town to me.

I heard them leaving and now I can relax. So I flopped on the couch and turned on the TV. There's nothing but squiggly lines on each channel... Right.. I thought to myself.. I'm in the middle of the woods and away from the civilized world where one can actually watch cartoons..

I remember packing a Thunder Cats VHS tape in my duffel bag so I get up off the couch and I run to go get it..

"Quit runnin through dis house gal!" Grandpa called out from the porch in a serious yet calm voice

"Okay... Sorry Grandpa!" I called back

I got to the room and looked through my bag and found the tape. I made sure not to defy Grandpa so I walked back to the living room. I stopped for a moment when I saw The Man Who Doesn't Talk sitting in his favorite chair. For the first time.... I spoke to him...

"I'm about to watch Thunder Cats... you ever seen them before?" I asked and he shook his head no... "Would you like to watch with me?" I asked and he nodded his head a little and slightly curved his lips into a smile.

I put the tape into the VCR and pressed play. Flopped back on the couch and watched Thunder Cats with a new friend.
He's not so creepy after all. Besides.. I'm beginning to discover that the living is far more dangerous than the dead.

I laughed hard at Mum-Ra for his rant in yet another defeat by the Thunder Cats... His laugh was always hilarious to me. Every now and then I would glance at The Man Who Doesn't Talk, and see a look of amusement on his face. He'd often look at me as well... but he'd look concerned.

"How come you never talk?" I asked "All of the others can talk" I stated and he only shook his head.. "Well why not?" I questioned again.

He opened his mouth and revealed his severed tongue... I sat up horrified at what I saw. When the initial shock wore off I grew sad.. How awful that must have been for him.

"Who did that to you?" I asked and then felt ridiculous afterwards once I saw the look of both desperation and frustration on his face. He accepted that he could not communicate with me, and turned his head in defeat as he sat back in his chair.

"I wish there was some way you could talk.. I'm sorry" I say with sincerity

He slowly looked back at me and there's hope in his eyes... He gave me a slight smile and in a flash! He was right in my face! My body froze in place and my eyes was locked in his gaze. Everything began to fade into a solid white background.. I felt cold!.. I could hardly breath!... My lungs and nostrils felt as though they're being filled with icy cold air!...  Then suddenly... Everything went black....