1 Louise

It’s the irritating noise. I miss hearing this during summer. Quite a long time since I last heard this ear-splitting sound. For this; I couldn’t manage to go back to dreamland. Oh, figure skating...

 “Patrice! Time to get up! You’re going to be late!”

Yeah, I know, today is the first day of school. Please Mom it’s just. . .

I slowly stir and push myself up to glance at the clock near my bed. My eyes are still blurry as I stare at it while its long hands points at twelve and six at the other as it continues to ring terribly, making me think to throw it away. I heave a sigh at the sight of it, for this day marks the end of my figure skating fantasies.

Time to go back to reality.

I get up from my bed, walk lazily towards the mirror and examine myself cautiously. My eyes are half way open, and my wavy bushy black hair is everywhere. There are a few pillow marks that are left on my face. I tap my hair with my hand, trying to calm it, but it resists as it bounces back every time I try push it down. I open my eyes widely at the mirror to reveal my dark black eyes, and curl my peach pouty lips while I continue to gaze at myself.

“You are so pretty Patrice Eonira Rouse R. Yutangco...” I say vaguely. I admire myself too much and I forgot that I have to get ready for school.

 “Patrice! When are you going to get down here? Don’t make me drag you down!”

“Yes Mommy, I’ll be coming down in a bit.” I shout as I still gaze infront of the mirror.

Oh, Mom you’re really annoying sometimes, but I cannot blame you, it’s just usual for mothers.

I glance at myself again infront of the mirror, smile at myself and pull my school uniform and head towards the bathroom almost jogging while saying; “Just five minutes. Just five minutes.”

 The sound coming from my service made me jump as I hurriedly go out of the bathroom, while I try to tame my bushy wavy mid-length black hair.

“Okay, I will just finish this on the way to the bus. Oh my gosh!!” I say as I pack my books and my sweater. Some of my stuffs are tumbling down from my grip while I try to wear one of my socks.

I glance at the mirror for the last time. Shake my head a bit to give my hair a little volume and wave that I would like to have. I put on some powder and lip gloss, bounce my hair a little more and smile at the wonderful image infront of me.

“This would do Perry. Good luck!” I exclaim, and I head outside my room dragging my purple hand bag that it bounces to the floor.

“Patrice!! You haven’t eaten your breakfast and your service is already here!”

“Yes, Mom. I’m coming down. I’m already hurrying…” I shout as I sprint through the stairs.

As I go down, I smell the usual aromatic cinnamon blend of my Dad’s coffee and see him reading the newspaper. I quickly kissed him on the cheek and say goodbye.

“You take care, honey,” he says.

As I approach my Mom, who is busy preparing my lunch, she looks at me viciously and says, “I told you yesterday, you should have packed your stuffs before going to bed! You’re not a kid anymore. You are turning seventeen, Patrice. No one should be doing this for you at this age. Grow up, please?”

Wow! That is a bit harsh to start my first day of school. Yet my Mom quickly gives me a smile and hugs me. “You take care, okay?” she says.

“Yes, Mommy. I love you,” and I kiss her at the cheek. I smell the aroma of toasted garlic and eggs, which probably is for our breakfast. I, again, bid them goodbye, go out of the door, and out of their sight.