16 Dinner

Tomorrow would be my birthday, I would be turning seventeen.

I tell myself, while I stare at the ceiling blankly, out of strength to even fix myself on my bed. I’m really exhausted from that tiring training earlier. I’m puzzled on how was I able to finish the two hour training with my two coaches. It really felt like it’s not going to end. Friday.” I breathe out.

I wish that tomorrow would never come, as my wish isn’t granted. Last year, when I celebrated my birthday, I wished the on my next celebration, I would be spending it with a special person, I wish to meet the guy of my dreams, and I would be spending my day with him, eating lunch, and watching fireworks while eating a romantic dinner. But now, here I am, staring at the ceiling, a few more hours before my birthday, and none of my wishes would even come into reality. How I fancy spending a day with him, but right now it’s impossible.

I heave a sigh at the fact that tomorrow will not be the best birthday. How I desire that the time would stop or the days would move fast for it to skip the eighteenth. I close my eyes in disappointment, while my head is filled with scenes of what could have been the situation if I have Louise by my side. I smile at the idea of it, and gradually, here I go to my world of fantasies.

“Happy Birthday Patrice!”

BOOM!

BOOM!

I slowly open my eyes as the sound of merry greeting wakes me up. My eyes are still foggy as the ray of light coming through my curtains blinds me and makes me close my eyes a little too often. A figure comes towards me, gives me a warm hug and kisses me on the check. The figure beside it did the same. I close my eyes once more, longer than the usual, and slowly I open it. I see Mom and Dad standing near my bed, holding a chocolate cake with a lit candle on top of it. There are also falling glittering bits of cut paper coming from the ceiling. It must be the party poppers that I heard booming in the air. Bits of colored papers are now all over my room, and at the end of my bed I saw a banner saying “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” I’m overwhelmed with what is happening. My parents are both looking at me, smiling. I stir up, sit properly on my bed, and blow the candle on the top of my chocolate cake. My parents kiss me once again, and they hand me their presents. Mom’s present is covered in purple and pink wrapper. The colors blend as light touch it. It’s just small but I know I would like it. Without any hesitation, I tear the wrapper apart and a piece of paper surprised me from the inside. Good thing I didn’t tear the paper that hard. I pull the paper out of the small container, which says; “Gift Certificate”. My eyes glow after reading the rest of the details, as it is from one of my favorite clothing shops. I hug my Mom, and she kisses me on the check again. I smile at Mom and I slowly turn my eyes at the box that Dad handed me. It has the same wrappings of my Mom’s gift, although it has a big red ribbon at the middle of it. I hold the box high against the light, it’s a bit heavy, seems like it contains a shoe. Unlike what I did to my first present, I slowly tear the wrappings, and gradually a blue box reveals itself. My eyes becomes wider as I uncover his gift. It’s what I have always wished and asked for; it’s a new pair of skates. I swiftly ran towards my Dad to hug him.

“That is also a gift from your Mom” he says smiling while hugging me.

“Thank you Mom!” I mouth as I bury my face into my Dad’s big fluffy tummy.

“What do you want to do for the rest of the day?” Mom asks.

“I would like to spend the whole day at the rink.” I reply.

“But why? You don’t have any lessons today?” she asks again bewildered.

“Nothing, I just want to feel what it is like skating without any routines.” I reply beaming.