19 The Dance

“Probably you’re going to curl your hair.” he said smiling, while I was teaching him the lessons that he missed due to his frequent club activities. “Most likely you’re going to have the curls that you had before.” He added.

“What do you mean by “before”?” I asked him surprised.

“The time when you had your graduation picture. I saw you from afar.” he replied, and he went back to his notebook and scribbled down some notes.

Graduation picture? Ah I now I remember.

I was with my friends when I had that shot. Yes, my hair was in curls and I was wearing a light brown dress that time, a formal dress to be exact. I remembered Rei told me that Louise keeps on telling her the way I look that day and not just to her, he even told our classmates about it. It sounded more like a joke than a compliment.

“He just can’t forget the way I look that day didn’t he.” I told my friends assertively as we walked towards our room after the break.

“Don’t be too assuming.” snapped Anj.

 “Then, what do you want me to think?” I asked her irratatedly, almost raising my voice.

“Just don’t think about anything.” suggested Rei.

Without any curling iron, this is going to be devastating.

“Anj, are there any salon near here?” I ask her.

“What?! Are you out of your mind? You only have less than an hour left and you’re still going to a salon? Just stay here and fix yourself.” she says.

“But are there any salons near here?” I ask her again, slowly saying each word for her to understand what I really meant.

“Yes, but I doubt that they could finish you before six.” she answers.

“Perry, why do you have to go to a salon? We could help you fix yourself.” Rei suggests.

You won’t understand he expects me to be in curls later. I already changed my mind on not looking my best; I want him to notice me. That’s why I need to have those curls!

My whole being is seething, but they’re correct. I can’t afford to be late and I can’t leave my partner alone during the presentation just to have those curls. I sit at the edge of Anj’s bed, grab my bag, take out my make-up, and start fixing myself.

Silence occupies the room for the remaining minutes. The friction of our dresses against the chairs is all that I could hear, together with the squeak of our feet against the shoes that we’re wearing and the murmur of my friends asking if they could borrow something. Yes, I’m infuriated, not with them, but with the situation that I’m in now. I should have prepared for this much earlier then I shouldn’t be in this situation wherein I don’t have a choice. Saddened, I just focus on delicately putting some make-up on my eyes, as I consider it as my most beautiful feature.

***

A few hours before prom, I found myself wearing a craggy shimmering cream tube top, combined with a lacy creased tip monochromatic chocolate skirt, and accessorized with a silver lace ribbon. I’m keen like everyone else; I enter the hall with my friends and my partner for the dance. Every girl this evening looks attractive and elegant; they’re all pleasing to the eyes. The men too look dazzling and handsome, like each one of them are knights and princes in fairy tales, although every guy in the room could have my heart, I know for a fact that it’s only with him, the only guy in the room that my heart seeks for. I caught a glimpse of him, he’s dashing like he always did. He is sitting next to his partner and with his other friends. I couldn’t approach him; I’m scared though I know that I look fabulous this evening, I just can’t. I take the other way, for him not to notice me and I sit down with my friends a few tables away from his.