Chapter 2

It didn't take long for Lance to meet the guy again. In fact, it took him around twenty-four hours: he was on the same train as the day before when his eyes fell on the sleeping guy. Despite carrying a small plastic bag with him, the guy apparently couldn't have been bothered with bringing an umbrella. Once again he was wet all over and Lance (nonsensically) felt bad for not carrying another towel with him. It wasn't his fault if the guy decided to ignore his advice, right?

Sitting down in front of him, Lance shook out his umbrella and put his headphones on. For some reason he wasn't in the mood to play games today. Maybe it was because he had realized how much work the lab would be, even if he had expected it. Maybe it was because there hadn't been a homemade lunch from Hunk on the counter today. Maybe it was because there was no sweet message from Pidge. Maybe it was because the guy across from him looked seriously pitiful with the water dripping down his face.

Altogether it hadn't taken Lance long to shift his focus back from his music to the not-punk guy in front of him. His leather jacket probably kept at least a little water out but Lance could see how his long hair dripped past it into the collar of his shirt below. The guy was slumped in his seat, head leaned back and slightly to the right as he breathed evenly in and out. He didn't wake, no matter if the door three seats next to him opened to let in some cold air or if the train jumped slightly at uneven railways.

It was exhaustion, Lance figured. The dark circles under his eyes just proved his point. This guy was seriously exhausted and in dire need of something nice happening to him.

Wanting to help again, Lance opened his bag and peered inside. Since Hunk hadn't made him a lunch today he had visited the coffee shop two streets down the train station. He had bought himself three muffins to look forward once the lab ended but swiftly decided that two would be enough for him. He could totally give the last one to someone that needed it more than he did.

Smiling to himself, Lance dug out the sticky notes he had thrown into his bag for physics class. He tore one off, uncapped a pen with his mouth and awkwardly scrawled a message on it before sticking it to the muffin.

Yo. Remember me? It's the guy that told you yesterday to bring an umbrella. Betcha wish you listened to me now. I decided to brighten your day once again, enjoy. - handsome dude from the train

Yes, that was perfect.

Lance carefully put the muffin on top of the plastic bag, making sure that it wouldn't accidentally fall onto the floor, and sat back into his own seat, resigning himself to more boredom until he arrived at the institute. At least he had made someone's day better.