Chapter 2 ~Mia~

Mia's POV

--------

I looked around, dazed by the sudden transportation. It looked like everyone was telported here, as they all sported the same shocked look. It seemed that no one knew what was going on, which both relieved me and worried me. What exactly was going on?

Suddenly, red panels began forming a dome above all the players, reading the word all gamers hate with a passion, 'Error.'  Once the dome was completed, it started to drip a disgusting red ooze, which I later found out to be blood. Whoever was making this happen was a sick person. I hated this. I was worried about trying virtual reality in the first place, and now something like this happens. I could hear so many people crying for help, screaming, and generally being terrified, the expected response. 

I heard many gasps arise from the throats of the players, and I looked towards where their frightened eyes were pointing. The blodd, which I was still revolted by, had formed a large, human-like person wrapped in a large cloak. Who was this man? Was he some sort of hacker? Surely, it couldn't be the creator. He wouldn't, he couldn't do something like thing, scaring all his players like this. Suddenly, the figure opened his mouth to speak the words we were all terrified to hear.

"Attention, players. Welcome to my world. My name is Akihiko Kayaba. As of this moment, I am the only person able to control this world. I'm sure you've already noticed that the logout button is missing from the main menu. But this is not a defect in the game. I repat... this is not a defect in the game, but a key feature of Sword Art Online. You cannot log out of SAO of your own will. And no one on the outside can shut down or remove the NerveGear. Should this be attempted, the transmitter inside the NerveGear will emit powerful microwaves, destroying your brain and thus ending your life." he said, but I had a feeling his speech was not over. My eyes were wide with fear. This couldn't be real. How could this be actually happening? What kind of bad luck did I have to get trapped here? 

"What the hell is going on!" I heard a somewhat familiar voice yell. I turned around, finding did looking around, changing between looking furious, confused, and scared out of her mind. For a trained beta tester, she didn't seem all that calm about this. I turned around again as I heard the man speak once more.

"Unfortunately, there have been several instances where friends and families have ignored this warning, and attempted to forcibly remove the NerveGear. As a result, 213 players have exited permanently, from both Aincrad and the real world. As you can see, news orginizations across the world are reporting on this situation, including the multiple deaths. Thus, you can assumethat the danger of a NerveGear being removed has been reduced. So, I would like you all to focus on clearing the game. But be sure to keep this is mind. There is no longer any function to revive someone within the game. The instant your HP drops to zero, your avatars will vanish forever. And simultaneously, your brains will be destroyed by the NerveGear. The one condition for your escape is to complete this game. If you make your way through the dungon, and defeat the Floor Boss, you may advance to the next level. Defeat the final boss on Floor 100 and you will clear the game. Now then, finally I've provided you all with a present in your item storage. Please see for yourselves." he droned on. I was beginning to think that he was kind of dragging on with this, and I had another feeling that he would start talking again.

I opened my item storage, only to find a mirror. I took it out, only wanting to see why he would give us something so useless. I looked into the mirror, furrowing my eyebrows. Suddenly bursts of blue light erupted around many players, and even myself a little while later. Once the light faded, I looked back into the mirror, and I was surprised at the transformation everyone and I had made. I now looked like myself, and I was dissapointed. I created my avatar so I didn't have to show myself off to the world, but stupid Kayaba just had to screw us all over. I sighed, looking about how much shorter my hair was (it came up to my shoulders), and how my nose pointed up a little. I frowned, a little upset. I looked back to Nina, who was now a little shorter than she appeared to be, and had blue hair instead of the long black hair she had before. Her head was also a little rounder than before. I shrugged, it was expected that everyone would change their appeareance to be more appealing in a video game. Everyone could be heard whining complaints, screaming in terror, or shouting in anger at Kayaba. Nobody wanted to be here anymore, and this is when Kayaba began to speak again.

"Right now, you all must be wondering, 'Why? Why would Akihiko Kayaba, developer of Sword Art Online and the NerveGear, do such a thing?' My goal has already been achieved. I created Sword Art Online for one reason... To create this world and meddle in it. And now, all is complete. This ends the tutorial for the official Sword Art Online launch. I wish you luck, players." he said, causing many other players to yell in protest, as they had been doing for his whole speech. But Kayaba couldn't care less, as he glitched away and faded into the error dome in a cloud of red smoke. At this point I couldn't decide between being confused or angry, as frightened had already been registered into my mind. I was just about to get lost in thought when I remembered that someone could help me. The beta tester seemed to know what was going on, and seemed like a cool party member to have, even if she was a little condescending. I walked over to her, waving.

"So, since I know that I can't fight by myself, I wanted to know if you could help me for a little while. Will you?" I asked hesitantly, as I knew that some beta testers would like to go solo. Even if I was declined, I would probably stick around, I didn't have anything really better to do. 

-------

Have fun Nina! 

-Bubbles