chapter 28: back

Tris POV

My dad has been in the military for the past 10 years. He's been deployed four different times. Each lasting longer than a year. I'm turning 18 today and all I want is for dad to come home.

"Tris wake up. It's time for school. Oh happy birth twiny." I groan as my brother Zeke and Uriah wake me up.

My name us Tris Pedrad and today us my 18th birthday. And Uriah is my twin with Zeke only a few month older than us.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Happy birthday Uriah." I say as they leave the room. 

I get dressed in a pair of Tobias' boxers that he left and a pair of camo overalls but I leave the top down. I throw on a black crop top that stops right below my bra. I run downstairs being careful of my Jordans. I walk into the kitchen seeing Zeke and Uriah siting and eating whatever.

"Hey yo. I thought that you wanted to leave. Let's go." I run out to my car waiting for the boys. They come out a few minutes later with their bags and they hop in.

~~~~

I get to school and I see Tobias waiting for me at his car. I turn the car off and I walk over to him. 

"Hey babe." I lean up and plant a kiss on his lips. 

"Hey baby. Happy birthday. The gang is waiting for us." I nod. We walk past my brothers and I give them a quick nod. I'm considered one of the populars because of our dance team and I'm also the cheer caption and Tobias or Four is the best quarterback this school has ever seen. So we are pretty popular. There's and assembly today and we are doing our dance. 

"What's up with your brothers. I don't get why their mad we tried to get them on our dance team." I snake my arm around his waist and his goes to my shoulders.

"They didn't want in. Said that they didn't want this life style." I feel him nod even though he's so much taller than I am. I'm 5'4 and he's 6'5 so he's more than a foot taller than I am. But I love that because he can pick me up with no problem. 

"Well that's their problem. I mean it's senior year we graduate next semester why not this. Why live in the shadows?" I shake my head. We walk the hallways with people parting for us and trying to say hello but like always we ignore them. 

We reach our dance crew but also our best friends for life. We all greet each other and hang out in the gym. We never have to go in for attendance because everyone always talks about us and what we are wearing, doing that day i it doesn't matter. 

"Would all students please report to the gym for our assembly." We go back stage and get ready. The principle comes over to me and taps my shoulder.

"Tris can you come with me?" I nod looking back at everyone and they shrug. I see Tobias smile and wave bye. I roll my eyes and laugh. 

"Ok wear this and stand in the middle." I am handed a blindfold and I feel it being tied around my eyes. Someone moves me to I guess is what the middle is. 

"Ok so instead of our dance team we have something else. As everyone know Tris here is standing here and with a blind fold. Tris if you would like to take it off and see your 18th birthday present." I slowly take the blind fold off and I turn but stop once I see my father. 

"Dad." I run at him and he picks me up.

"Happy birthday baby girl." I smile and hug him tighter as he sets me down.