Chapter 20

Jake's POV:

I was looking at Cassie's back during lunch. It had been a week when she started ignoring me. It just happened all of a sudden. I didn't know what happened. Whenever I'd try to approach her, she'll start walking away, avoiding me. Did I do something wrong?

"Hey man!" Michael slapped me on the back. "What's wro- ah..." he glanced towards what I was looking at.

"You should probably just forget her" he said, turning away from her. "She's not worth your time"

My head snapped towards him. "What do you mean by that?" I growled, getting angry, although I don't know why.

He just shrugged. "You know what I mean"

"No, I don't" my tone had an edge to it.

He sighed. "I don't have anything against her Jake. What I said is simply a fact, you are too good for her"

What he said annoyed me further. "And why is that?"

He looked me straight in the eyes. "Just stay away from her Jake. It's for your own good"

Now I just had enough. I stood up, glaring. "You have no idea just what is good for me" with that, I stormed off, heading towards Cassie. I heard Michael calling me but I ignored him. I sat down at Cassie's table, dropping my bag with a thud. She looked up blankly.

"We need to talk" I told her.

Silence.

My anger rose a little higher by her silence. "Fine. I'll talk, you listen" I ground out. "I have no idea why you're avoiding me suddenly and that hurt. I'm trying to be a friend here and this is what I get? I know that you don't have any friends and this might be a bit awkward to you but that doesn't mean you could be a cold-hearted person. The least yoy could do is give me an explanation" without meaning to, I slammed my fist on the table.

I saw her tense a little. "Sorry" I sighed.

We were silent for a minute.

"Go back to your friends Jake" was all she said, breaking the silence.

I looked at her. "Are you serious?" I was bewildered. I couldn't decipher anything from those dead eyes of hers.

"I am"

I let out a bitter laugh. "Wow, just.......wow" I stood up. "Thanks a lot Cassie" I grabbed my bag and walked away.

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit, was all I could think as I left the cafeteria.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I avoided Cassie for three days. I didn't follow her around like I did and I stopped talking to her. No hello, no good morning, no see you later, nothing.

But no matter how hard I avoid her as she was doing to me, I still notice her. I didn't want to admit it but I was too aware of her. When we're in the same room, my eyes would automatically go to her, watching her from a distance.

It was sad, yes, but even though she hardly talks and she was always passive when we were together. It was only a few days but I miss her company. I could talk all day and she won't complain. She'd just listen. She was kind and giving even though she'd have nothing to give. She has that air to mystery around her. Her lifeless eyes, so blank, that you would want to give and see the life sparkle in them.

I sighed, trying to clear my mind off her. I was hanging out with the guys. We played basketball at the park for an hour and then grabbed a bite of hotdog.

"Man, I missed hanging out with you" Zyril took a big bite of his hotdog as he said this.

"Wish I could say the same" I joked, stepping out of his reach before he could punch my shoulder.

Justin laughed. "But honestly man, it wasn't the same without you" he clapped me on the back.

I could only give them a small smile. I could see Michael looking at me. I shrugged to appear nonchalant. "So, what's up with this Judy girl, Kev?" I asked, grinning when he blushed.

We were teasing and laughing at Kevin when we passed by the cemetery. I glanced at it but then did a double take.

Cassie was crouched down in front of a headstone.

Instantly, I was curious.

"Shoot! I forgot my mom asked me to buy some milk! You guys go on ahead" I told my friend when we passed the cemetery.

They screamed out their "see you tomorrow dude!" when I turned around and ran back. I raised my hand in goodbye.

I made sure they were gone before going inside the cemetery. Cassie was still there. As I got closer, I could hear her crying. I stopped in my tracks. I observed her from where I was standing.

I thought she was crouched down when I first saw her but she was hugging her knees, her face buried in it. Her shoulders were shaking.

She seemed in so much pain.

I watched for five minutes when she finally stood up, wiping the tears away with her hands. She touched the headstone before leaving. I waited for a minute before approaching the grave.

In loving memory of

Anna Adams

(March 3, 2004 - June 24, 2010)

A loving daughter and beloved sister

My eyes widened as I realized the reason why Cassie was crying. She was already alone and I gave up on her when she pushed me away.

I noticed something was written at the base of the headstone.

A shining light in the darkest moments of my life.

Well, shit.

I looked at the place Cassie had gone. Sorry Michael but I can't leave her alone, especially now.