Chapter 2

Before I could fully register what I was seeing, I heard the loud sirens of an ambulance coming outside. I heard mom cry out in relief and almost stumbled trying to get to the door. I turned around as I heard paramedics rush inside but I saw in my peripheral vision that my father hid the knife behind him. He was trying to be inconspicuous as he casually strolled out of the kitchen and into the backyard.

"Where is she?" the paramedics asked mom.

"She's in the kitchen!" mom answered quickly, going into hysterics. "PLEASE!!!HELP MY BABY! DON'T LET HER DIE". They quickly rushed pass me into the kitchen. Mom followed them, crying. "Please don't let her be dead, please God! Please don't let her be dead"

"She's losing so much blood!" one them cried, as he pressed onto her wound to staunch the bleeding.

"Ma'am, we need you to calm down. Can you tell us what happened?" a female paramedic asked mom as she worked on Anna.

Mom was still hysterical, her hands clasped and eyes closed as if she was praying.

"Ma'am please! We need to know what happened!" she urged, now facing my mom fully.

This time, I snapped. "Why don't you just help my little sister? SHE COULD DIE!" Couldn't she see that my mom is broken right now? That she's worried that might lose her youngest daughter?

She now turned to me. "I'm sorry, but I need to know how your sister ended up in this situation. It might help us in treating her better" she answered.

I paused for awhile, thinking about my father. Should I tell them? But...what do I really know? Maybe he was just picking the knife up. Wait, what am I saying? My father is a bad man, he could do anything, even like stabbing his own daughter. But was he really that heartless? I shook my head, confused. "You can ask us all the questions that you want when we're sure that my sister's okay" I almost yelled, oblivious to the tears running down my face.

She looked at me for a moment before she finally turned back to Anna.

I watched them dress Anna's wound before they brought her up to the stretcher and into the ambulance.

"I'm going with them" I heard my mom say before hopping into her car.

"Wait! I'm coming with you!" I called after her.

"No honey, you need to stay here and watch after your father" she closed the door and turned on the engine. I stared at her, shocked. How does my father needed watching after? He can take care of himself! All he needs is a beer and someone (namely me) to beat up and he's all set! Besides, there's no way I'm staying here with that monster.

Mom rolled down the window. "I'm sorry honey, but I don't want him to get mad when he wakes up and find out that nobody's home but him. I'll call you as soon as I get some news at the hospital" she rolled up the window again and drove away.

I watched her drive away, tears blurring my vision. I wanted to be there! By Anna's side! Not with my father! I went back into the house, defeated. All I can do now is sit and wait.

~~~~~~~~~

I rolled over my bed again. And again and again. I sat up and punched my pillow. I lie down again and tried to sleep. Only to open them again. I sighed in frustration. I can't sleep, when I know Anna is in the hospital. I sat up and checked my phone for the hundredth time. Still no call or even text from mom. I wiped my forehead in frustration. I can't wait anymore! It is killing me!

Finally, my cellphone buzzed. I immediately grabbed it and looked at the caller i.d.

It was mom!

I put the phone on my ear. "Mom? What happened? How's Anna? Is she okay? Of course she is! Is she awake? Do you need me to bring something over? Like clothes and stuff?Has she been asking for me?" I didn't gave my mom an oppurtunity to say something.

"...Cassie..." I finally stopped asking when I heard her voice. It was so full of pain and...loss. I suddenly got a bad feeling.

"Mom?What is it? What happened to Anna?" I clutched the phone so hard I thought it was going to break.

"...An-na...Anna's dea-dead Cassie..."I heard her sniff. It was obvious she was crying right now. "She...she never even ma-made it he..re" she was crying so hysterically now that I barely even understand her. But I still did somehow.

My sister's dead.

Anna's dead.

"...I need know how your sister ended up in this situation. It might help us in treating her better..." I heard the paramedic's voice.

"...It might help us in treating her better...It might help us in treating her better...it might help us in treating her better"

It just keeps on repeating inside my head.

Anna's dead.

It's all because of me.