Five: Caught

--note--

 Sadly, this chapter is tiny. Only 600 words. Though, things are about to get longer and are about to heat up. On with the chapter!                                     

                                                                Heather

Heather carefully watched Hiccup and Toothless get ready for more dragon racing just outside their hut. A moment later, Toothless leaped into the air. Heather closed the door to the hut and silently walked up the stairs. She paused by the entrance to Hiccup's room and then walked inside. She pulled open drawers, scanned the shelves, and ransacked all the bags.

"Hmm," she finally said, frustrated. Then she glanced underneath the bed and "aha" ed triumphantly. She ducked underneath it and said, "Gotcha," as the Book of Dragons came into view.

She hid behind the side of the bed so she wouldn't be very noticeable if someone walked into the room. The next few minutes were spent trying to find the page on Deadly Nadders.

Heather flipped through the pages as fast as possible, she couldn't be caught with book by Hiccup, or Thor forbid, Astrid.

"Nightmare, Gronkle, Zippleback," she listed off. Earlier, she had interrogated the riders for information on their dragons, but of course got nothing on Deadly Nadders and didn't want to make Astrid even more suspicious by asking about her dragon. Heather had also decided to steal Stormfly for a ride back to Outcast island. Hopefully the Outcasts would be pleased by an already tamed Nadder. She nudged the feeling of regret away. At least her family would be whole once again if she succeeded, even if the Dragon Riders would be destroyed.

"Here we go," Heather said as the page of Nadders was revealed. "The Deadly Nadder. Piercing spines, loyal, powerful--" she read and then inhaled sharply with dread as Astrid interrupted, "Intelligent, and of course, deadly. Exactly what do you think you're doing?" Heather turned her head, green eyes wide as her shadow was outlined on the Book's pages by the flickering candle Astrid held in her hand. 

                                                          . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

                                                                   Astrid

This would have to be proof enough, Astrid thought as she stood by Hiccup in front of Heather.

"Well, are you going to say something?" Astrid said in a somewhat surly manner. 

"I-i am so, so sorry Hiccup," Heather said in an infuriatingly apologetic tone. "I was cleaning your room and found the book, and I couldn't help myself."

"It's okay, Heather," Hiccup said.

"It's okay!?" Astrid exploded. "She was reading the Book of Dragons."

"Astrid, lighten up," Hiccup said wearily.

"ME? 'Lighten up'?" Astrid said incredulously. "She's the one sneaking around! Looking at our... stuff!"

"Sneaking around, what are you talking about?' Hiccup asked with a quick puzzled glance at Heather.

"I'm talking about last night. She wasn't just walking around, she was stalking around my house!" Astrid hissed. Heather's eyes sparked with alarm and she blinked fast.

"Astrid, that's enough," Hiccup said warningly.

"You're right, Hiccup, it is," Astrid snapped and stormed out of Hiccup's room. Why won't anyone listen to me?

                                                   . . . . . . . . . . .

                                                        Heather

Hiccup watched her go with a glum look.

"Sorry about that," he finally said, turning back to Heather.

"No, i'm sorry," She said. "I was wrong to look at your book."

"It's no big deal," Hiccup said, crouching down to place the book back under his bed. Heather glanced sideways slyly, green eyes narrowing slightly as she started to devise a plan.

"I trust you," Hiccup said finally and started to walk down the stairs. Heather paused, looking back at the book. Then she turned away and followed him closely.

It would be best if I stay away from Astrid. She's the only one who might be able to stop me.

--note--

To those who care: i'm sorry it took forever to write one lousy, very short chapter.