Six: Traitor

Hooray! This chapter is about three times longer than the one before!

                                                        Heather

Later that night, about around dinner, Heather decided to try to earn Stormfly's loyalty. she had to be careful and fast, Astrid was already suspicious and wouldn't take well to Heather with her dragon.

Heather stepped in front of Stormfly and cautiously walked forward, extending her hand and placing the other one on the bag tied over her shoulder. Stormfly's eyes snapped open.

"Approach the Deadly Nadder slowly," Heather recited from the book. The dragon's pupils abruptly slitted as she couldn't understand right away what was happening. Stormfly flared her wings, curling up her tail and pointing it straight at Heather with a quiet squawk. The spikes suddenly flipped up and Heather jerked away. "Spines. Just like the book said," she whispered, staying as still as possible while reaching into the pouch. "Stay in the blind spot..." She held up a piece of chicken and held it in front of Stormfly. The dragon hissed quietly and then retracted her tail spines, pulling her tail away from Heather, sniffing loudly. "I hear you like that," Heather whispered and the dragon pulled the chicken from Heather's grasp and quickly gulped it down. Stormfly closed her eyes contentedly and allowed Heather's hand to rest on her beak.

"What are you doing with my dragon?" A voice said from behind her and Heather whipped around as Stormfly opened her eyes again. Heather narrowed her eyes in annoyance. Standing behind her, axe in hand, was Astrid.

"Ugh! You really like to sneak up on people," Heather said, scowling. Astrid is starting to get on my nerves.

"Only the ones who deserve it," Astrid said. "And don't give me your 'innocent routine," she continued sharply and pointed at Heather . Heather's eyes flickered up and down furiously.

"I wouldn't think of it. You're way too smart for that, Astrid," Heather replied silkily.

Stormfly graaaked and bumped her back, purring. Heather started and turned around to pet the dragon, grinning wickedly at the outraged expression on Astrid's face. Heather knew Astrid wouldn't attack her, even though she knew the other girl wanted to. Heather stopped petting Stormfly and walked over beside Astrid. Heather tossed her had and said airily, " I think your dragon likes me," and it clearly was true. Astrid just stood there glowering sideways at her. 

"See ya later, Stormfly," Heather smirked and spun around to walk to Hiccup's hut. 

After Astrid thought Heather was out of earshot, she said, "Really? Where's the loyalty?" to her dragon. Heather shoved the guilt away and slipped behind Hiccup's house. She didn't like acting like a jerk in any way, but she hoped that if Astrid would get annoyed enough she would just leave her alone. 

Heather glanced back and saw Astrid waking her way to the woods. Heather sighed with relief that she wasn't coming to her to talk to Hiccup. Then she quickly scaled the wall and opened the sky light. She quickly hopped over the bed and hid by the wall peeking through the door to Hiccup's room. Stoick was clearing the dishes with clanks and clatters of ceramic bowls and plates. Heather glanced around for Hiccup and saw him walking through the door from outside with Toothless just behind him. Heather slipped back into Hiccup's room fully and stopped by the bed, glancing under it with a quiet curse as the book was nowhere to be found. 

"No, no, no," Heather whispered, huffing as she quickly looked over a shelf again. Had Astrid hid it?

Heather quickly walked to the door and looked through it again. Hiccup was sitting by the table, the Book of Dragons wide open as he sketched more drawings and runes into the worn, yellowed paper. "Great," Heather said, frowning. "Now what?"