chapter nineteen.

Michael called me several times, begging for my forgiveness. I don't know why he felt the need to apologize to me, I mean I could care less that they kept their little secret from me. If anything he should be apologizing to Lillie for doing whatever he did to her.

Eventually I got so sick of him calling me up that I got on his case during one of my shifts at the book shop. I told him to stop and he kept rambling on about how he feels bad for making out with Lillie right in front of me. Thankfully, I managed to convince him not to worry about it, but I reminded him that he should try to make amends with her.

Aside from the all the drama concerning my two best friends, my relationship with Ashton was still great. He often dropped by at the book shop during my shifts. Though, whenever Michael was around, he'd give Ashton dirty looks. It was rather annoying; knowing my best friend hated him for stupid, reasons. You would think that he would let it go; that Ashton took his food in high school. It was just plain stupid, but I nonetheless I ignored it.

On one day during my night shift, Ashton dropped by and left notes between books again. It had been quite some time since he had done it, so I was thrilled to read his new notes. As soon as he walked away, I excitedly ran over to the aisle to see them. My eyes landed on the row where there were four notes sticking out from between several books. I gently pulled out the first note and read what Ashton had written.

You

He was back to his one word notes; oh joy. Being that I was rather eager, I was quick to pull out the next piece of tiny paper.

My

The second I read the next phrase, I already knew where he was getting at. Knowing what he was going to say, I couldn't hold back my smile.

Little

"Hm, wonder what the next note could be!" I chuckled to myself as I folded the paper back up. I then proceeded to take out the very last note. Once I unfolded it, I read the exact word I was expecting.

Star.

You, my little star. His sentence was equivalent to my phrase, 'you, my lucent star'. I guess you can say it was our thing. Before I could turn around and walk back to the checkout desk, I felt his hand on my waist. I felt his lips press against my neck; something that I was quite fond of.

"You, my little star." He whispered. The corners of my lips curved up into a bright smile when I heard his words. Within seconds, I spun around to face him.

"I love—what is that?" My attention was suddenly directed towards a small box that he held in his hands. The box looked a little tattered and old. Ashton didn't answer my question, instead he simply opened the top. Inside was a necklace with a small star charm. I gazed down at it, in awe at how beautiful it looked.

"Ash, I don't know...I don't know what to say..." I spoke softly as I picked the necklace up. I let the charm rest on my palm. You, my little star. "Can you put it on?" I asked. Ashton nodded and unclasped the necklace. I turned around and held my hair out of the way so he could put it on. He brought hands over my shoulders, placed it around my neck, and finally attached it.

"Turn around." He said. When I turned back around the admiration on his face was evident. His eyes traveled from my neck, where the necklace rested, all the way up to my eyes. "Beautiful...like a star."

"Thank you." I blushed. Ashton's face leaned down closer to mine, closer and closer until his lips barely touched mine. I took in a sharp breath before finally closing the space between us. As always whenever his lips were against mine I didn't have a care in the world. In that moment all I could think about was him. Though, at some point I had to stop because I remembered that I still had to close up shop. "I gotta—"